Chapter 2

[ Ten Years Later ]
_._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._

Hope sits on her bed in her dark bedroom at six in the morning. At fourteen years old she has to go to her first day of highschool soon. She gulps at the thought of the highschool students, they are basically giants and could crush her with her five foot five inch stature. She get's dressed in her favorite band shirt and black pants. She ties up her shoes and to finish the outfit pulls her black hoodie over her head. She eats a meager breakfast of toast with orange juice. She walks into the washroom and brushes out her long, wavy, brunette hair until it is soft and glossy then pulls it into a tight pony tail so the wind doesn't mess it up on the long walk to school. She brushes her teeth singing the happy birthday song in her head so she can tell that she has brushed for long enough. She sits waiting, watching the clock tick. When it hits the correct time she opens the door and walks out, chin up to the brisk morning air. She continues walking to get to school, feeling jitters and butterflies in her stomach.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jason's alarm goes off with a sound loud enough to wake the dead, he smacks it with a force strong enough to shake his bedside table. Ugh, morning He thinks to himself. He picks up a black shirt from the floor sniffs it, shrugs and puts it on. He puts on a pair of jeans nearly falling in the process. His dad is sitting on the couch in his uniform with the stepmonster by his side. The woman has been leeching money off of Jason's dad for years still he takes double shifts and does whatever he can to make sure his "queen" is happy.
"Morning son." says his dad with his gruff voice.
"Mornin' dad." says Jason
That's all they ever really say anymore. Jason puts on his worn hoodie and his tattered sneakers and starts walking.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
She sees him, a little down the road from her. Jason Kent, her friend in kindergarten though they haven't spoken for a few years she noticed him walking in the hallways a few times he was always looking down but somehow knew where he was going. He had changed a lot over the summer he got taller, and by taller I mean he is a foot taller than five foot five Hope. Well he is six foot one. Hope runs up to him but she must have been too quiet because when she said "Hi Jason." he nearly jumped a foot in the air.
"Oh hi, Hope was it. I am sorry it's just been so long." he replied.
"Eh, it's okay and yes it's Hope." she says with a small grin.
"So um, how have you been?" asks Jason awkwardly.
"I have been okay I guess." replies Hope.
"You guess?" he questions.
"Well, I have switched between okay and not okay." she answers.
"Oh." he says.
There was a certain unsettling silence it was awkward and full of tension. Hope turns on some music but forgets to put her earphones in so the music plays out loud. She sees Jason's face light up, there was a sudden rush of life in his blue-gray eyes. Hope decides not to put in earphones and they both listen to music on the way to school. When they get to school she turns off the music and stands in front of him awkwardly with her arms behind her back rocking on her heels. He looks her dead in the eyes with his shining like they haven't shone in years and says "We should talk more later, tell me your classes so we can compare."
"Okay." she answers nearly speechless, there was a huge change to him.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hope changed a lot since Jason last remembered, she was tanner she was more curved, her brunette hair was bleached by the sun. She had freckles scattered everywhere on her face. Jason didn't know why but he wanted desperately to talk to her for hours he sadly had nothing to say his heart fluttered everytime he looked at her and he had no idea why. All Jason knew was he had to keep talking to her. He got his classes and without thinking he walks right into Hope knocking her to the ground.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hope was walking around after getting her classes looking around intimidated by the grandeur of the school. She walked further through the confusion when suddenly she found herself on the ground. She looked up to see an embarrassed Jason, his face bright red. "Oh my, I am so sorry." He blurts out.
"It's fine." she says "I wasn't watching where I was going."
He helps her up and picks up the paper with her classes on it. He starts reading with a smile on his face, when he notices her looking at him he clears his throat puts on a straight face and says. "We um, we have the same classes."
"Okay." she says. He turns and walks away seemingly flustered. Hope watches him confused. Was she missing something?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jason smiles more than he has in a long time. We have the same classes he thinks to himself rather giddy. He walks along with a spring in his step, fist bumping the air. He looks behind him and sees her looking at him, he stops dead so embarrassed. He walks swiftly nearly knocking down people in the process. He felt full inside after being empty for so long, he had found something.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I will be publishing these two at a time so be patient I hope you like this story so far I mean I like it and am quite enjoying writing it. Have a good day! ~Gingee