Chapter 3. Not a piece of cake

I groaned as I pressed my face into Neo's pillow, letting out very small whimpers. After the shocking news, I went back to sneak more and avoided him like a plague, but how long would I hide? How long would I stay away from him? I couldn't get out of it no matter how much I begged Mr. Stone to have mercy.

«««Flashback»»»

I followed Mr. Stone to his car, clinging to his arm like my life depended on it, which is true because it did. If I didn't find a way to get out of the tutoring lesson, I was doomed. An assignment was enough, no more. It was no longer a fight for him never to recognize me as the crazy kisser, but this was a matter of my heart. I knew myself a lot… No, it was common knowledge. He starts teaching me, we become friends, I fall in love with him and he never reciprocates, leaving me heartbroken for the rest of my life, maybe. I didn't want to take that chance, I didn't want to be part of those whose first love never worked out. I didn't want to have to suffer emotionally, letting it affect me physically and mentally as well. I didn't want the wistful pain I'd manage to step into another level.

There was a chance he could fall in love with me, there was a chance he could like me too but then what? Did I need to live with the fear that he could just wake up one morning and leave me? Just decide that he's tired of loving me and move on to the next best thing, leaving me sad, depressed, and broken? I didn't want to, no. I'd watched my father live with that pain for years, I couldn't live like that. I never want to live like that.

"Larissa, I've made the decision. Unless you want me to call your father,"

"No," I cried, "I don't want to bother him—"

"Then take the damn offer and make do with it. Larissa, you are a bright girl and you have a very bright future, but that would never be possible if you let yourself waste away. There's nothing hard in it, just take the tutoring for free—"

"Fine, can I not be tutored by Zayne, please? It's a matter of life and death!"

"Justice, stop acting like a child and behave like an adult—"

"I'm nine," I deadpanned. He sighed jadedly and pushed me off him gently. "Can I get another tutor, please?"

"Why not? Zayne is at the top when it comes to calculation, you should be happy he agreed,"

"I'm not, can I just change?"

"If you can get a tutor before the end of school tomorrow, then yes." I jumped in excitement, getting a tutor would be a piece of cake.

«««End of flashback»»»

Getting a tutor was not a piece of cake. I tried, and I tried, and I tried. Starliss is a terrible teacher, I couldn't ask her. Odette is… Well, dumber than I am. I tried three other smart students, but nope, they already had plans. The only one who didn't have plans was the one Odette kissed and he was terrified of running into her. Neo turned me down, he already had too much to do with the semester being the final and the coach was determined to push them really hard, thanks to last semester's massive loss. So, I was stuck with Zayne at the end.

"Will you stop groaning into my pillow, you'll infect it with your disease," Neo scolded as he walked out of the bathroom, slamming the doors shut behind him. I didn't bother looking up because he has a habit of walking out of the bathroom naked. The top reason we never stay back when he goes in to take a bath. "It's not my fault you are miserable… Okay, it kinda is but it's not my fault you chose to kiss him over running around naked—"

"On a football field! Neo!" I shouted. "And this is no longer about the kiss, it's about my heart—"

"And so?" Sighing, I massaged my forehead, lifting myself to sit. "Look, there's nothing wrong in getting your heart broken, it's nothing. If you think that you can survive in this world without heartbreak, then you are not human. It's normal for people who have a heart. Just look at me, I've gotten my heart broken twice, and I've broken about thirty-five girls' hearts all my life—"