Chapter Forty-Five

Ashville college
Second term
Sapphire hall

Sam wasn't entirely surprised when Ini launched the "hugging attack" on her the moment she walked into their shared dorm room, what she didn't expect was that Yara, who is more into handshakes, back pats and sassy greetings, would join in tackling her to floor till she was flat on her back, gasping for air.

'What took you so long? we've been waiting all day for you...'
Ini bubbling with excitement, began to bombard her with questions almost immediately, following behind to her corner of the room after they had all managed to disentangle from the group hug. She and Yara who had by them traded gist have a lot of catching up to do with her.

'I didn't expect you guys would resume so early'
Sam replies, dropping her new back pack on her unmade bed, next to her boxes which was dropped off by the hall domestic workers earlier on, then turns to her friends, fighting a smile at the obvious fact that her late coming rattled them.

Good. They need to always remember who the boss is

'I deliberately came late thinking you two would have the sense to do the same, isn't that like the standard procedure for most students?'
Evening time is usually the rush hour for resumption, merely because kids at Ashville have picked up the habit of being waited for, after all, they're wards of the high and mighty in the society.

'Well! That's what a phone is for, you should have told us ahead'
Yara took out her defence, waving a phone in her face to pass a point across.

'Plus... You know my dad, he's always about punctuality. I was here before seven in the morning, the first student to resume in this hall'
Ini announced proudly, taking her seat next to Sam's study desk. Both girls haven't been in touch since after the Christmas yachting cruise, Ini had been sending text but Sam eased up on their communication in her anger and resentment, surprisingly Ini didn't seem to notice, care or take the deliberate distance to mean anything, she simply believed Sam was being Sam and nothing else which makes the latter glad that she doesn't have to explain herself or clear the air about her behaviour while she was hurting, everything just went back to normal without a scene... Hurrah!!!

How on earth was she supposed to admit it happened because of Tariq? Nah!

'... Yara have news for us... Technically you, cause we've had enough time to dissect the gist...'

'Girl! I was supposed to spill the tea myself...'
Yara started to reprimends with arms akimbo the same time Sam moment spoke.

'Ooh really! You two couldn't wait for me?! Some friends you guys are'
Sam scolds playfully, prepping to hear all about Yara's Christmas vacation, from the look of it, she could guess something exciting happened.
'I'd forgive you two this time, so hit me up, anything exciting happen during your holiday vacation'

'So I got my period on Christmas day, and the TALK from my mum as expected...'
Yara rolled her eyes at the later part of her statement.

'You got your what?'
Sam nearly choked on the water she happens to be gulping from her customized bottle

'Period? Menses? Monthly circle? Pick your choice but it all boils down to the fact that I now bleed monthly and I'm biologically a woman...'
Yara reels off, reciting it just the way her mother had explained the phenomenon to her.

'Oh please don't school me! I know what that means, I was just... Just... erm... surprised, I guess...'

'Why? Because I'm built like a boy?'
Yara quips sarcastically, growing up, she had been reminded most often than not, how her structure is more masculine than feminine, she's taller than most kids her age, with the ideal height of someone three or four years older, she's very slim and lanky with angular jaws and a bit broader around her shoulder, but she has never thought of her features as something to be ashamed off, she would rock an off shoulder tops any day even when her fashionista elder sister would advice against it, she also loves shorts regardless of the fact that it shows how very long and slender her legs are, she specifically loves it because she believed her smooth and unblemished long legs are her best physical asset, so why not show it off?