Journey to Gladeban (Interlude 2)

II.

The two watched as the Truth Guild researcher emerge from the wagon. Ilalune simply hopped out after Arudite and upon noticing Madoka, the two servants regarded each other severely.

"Madoka?" Audrey tried to stop Madoka, but the maid did not even realize she was growling at the Cherish woman. More surprisingly, Ilalune was hissing back.

"Ila!"

The growling continued until both sides raised their bare hands and attacked each other; locking in a deadly forceful grip between fists and furious eyes. Madoka held her strength back, and made sure she was careful enough to not hurt the Cherish girl. This was a matter between whose master was superior, and that Audrey was hers. Ilalune had a similar body size, built by whatever trials she has gone through. The slave's grip was considerably weaker than hers, but the intent was stronger than even the metal ball she created. Through the hissing, growling and protests from onlookers, Madoka sensed something from the Cherish girl. Was that approval?

She stopped growling, realizing Audrey was trying to pull her off of Ilalune.

"Bad dog!" Audrey scolded her, but she kept her eyes on Ilalune. The cat girl had cyan narrow eyes that sweeped over her, and Madoka could not help but feel a slight smile tug at the corner of her lips. Coincidentally, Ilalune did not notice her purple haired master pulling at her dress, despite the fact that she let go already and was standing still.

Madoka scoffed and dusted herself off. Eraziror gave Audrey a shrug as the onlookers went back to checking their belongings, while both of the servants returned to their quiet selves much to the confusion of everyone besides them. Later, Armor stoodby while Kanys was packing things for another group.

"Quite the group, huh," Audrey finally let go of Madoka. "What's the occasion? And why are you tagging along?"

"Me?" Arudite squeaked. "Well, worst of the worst things came along and after I submitted my report on you Luxgor told me to go to Gladeban to speak with the Lady there!"

"Lady?"

"Ay," Eraziror stretched. "The Guild Master of Gladeban. Road's quite busy on this side of town, I heard tell of a Nobleman from Esmeralda was supposed to swing by here a few days ago but he must have skipped town. Perhaps something big made him dinner, ha! I'm sorry, I forget you two are Nobles."

Audrey laughed it off, while Arudite looked annoyed.

"Right," Madoka mused. She remembered that wretched and fat noble. House Kieron, she recalled him introducing himself as the Head. Hopefully, that bastard was rotting inside of a beast's stomach.

"O-Oh, yeah, we heard about that guy from the guards," Audrey gulped, but quickly changed the subject before anyone noticed. "What's with the boxes and wagon though?"

"I have to deliver samples to the Guild there, ugh!" Arudite complained. "Me, an actual scholar, level two researcher! Lifting boxes! It's just not—"

"Lady Arudite," Ilalune scolded her. Madoka approved of her actions. The purple haired woman did not seem like a Noble, the aura radiating from her was less pronounced than Audrey's.

"Ugh, I say!" Arudite continued to complain, although with less volume. "You understand, right? Noble to Noble, I am not fit to walk all the time! Y-You two can sit with us!"

"Eheh, I guess," Audrey shrugged, though her eyes were looking at the researcher like she was noticing strange mana. "I'm not much of a Noble now. Not since my House collapsed."

A small pang of sadness still welled up in Madoka, but she swallowed the pain and stood by silently. Arudite looked apologetic, but did not give any judgment. She instead pointed to Madoka.