23. Karen

(Vanessa)

One might assume that everything is alright, and perhaps it should be. Dave and I have grown accustomed to our life together, and at work, I'm somewhat accepted by the others. Naturally, there are envious glances, but they don't bother me.

Today is Wednesday, and as with every weekday, we're wrapping up Dave's agenda. There are numerous appointments scheduled for today, including both phone calls and office visits.

"That's everything. Lunch has been ordered for us as well. Dave, is there anything else you require?"

He replies, "Yes, you," with a big look full of lust.

Dave, not in here," I reply, blushing.

"Why not? Everyone already assumes it's happening here. Why keep them waiting?"

"Dave, please. I would never have sex at work."

"Too bad," he comments, giving a shrug. "It would have been pleasant and a great stress reliever. Alright, let's get started on the work."

I stand there, my finger pressing against the desk, leaning forward. "That doesn't mean kissing is off the table."

Dave pulls me onto his lap, and I giggle as I drape my arms over his neck and kiss him again.

"You know what? I could get used to this. You, on my lap in between work." He kisses my neck, triggering a chain reaction in my intimates. Especially when he trailed a chain of kisses on my nek and then gently nibbled on my ear.

"Dave, please," I whisper, lost in my own desire. He places his hand on the back of my neck and draws me towards him, ending with a passionate kiss.

"We have to stop, or I'll take you here and now," he whispers as he caresses my cheek. I nod in agreement and rise to my feet. The timing is perfect as the phone rings, and I answer it to find out that our food has been delivered.

Exhausted from the day, Dave and I head towards our car. A woman is perched against the passenger door, inspecting her nails before shooting me a furious glance, then bestowing Dave with a saccharine smile. She radiates sophistication, reminiscent of an extravagantly compensated supermodel. Dave grips my hand tighter as we approach her. "Not her?" he mumbles. His whole body tenses and if his eyes could shoot bullets, his magazine would be shot empty.

"Dave, darling. It's such a pleasure to see you," she exclaims with exaggerated enthusiasm.

"What are you doing here?" Dave inquires, his teeth clenched.

"My best friend called me and told me you were engaged. Then I saw the media reports confirming it," she says, clinging to him, and I can feel jealousy rising within me. After all, it's my fiancé that she's holding on to far too tightly.

"Who's the fortunate one? Is it someone I know?"

"I believe you've been aware for quite some time that the woman beside me is my fiancée. Allow me to introduce you to Vanessa. Karen, meet Vanessa, my fiancée. Vanessa, this is Karen, a childhood friend of both Sara and me."

"Ah, a childhood friend of his and Sara's. Darling, I'm also an ex of yours. We were together for nearly four years before you dated Sara."

"And how often did we meet during those four years? Hardly ever, if I recall correctly. You claimed to everyone that we were in a relationship when we were merely friends."

Karen glares at Dave with narrowed eyes before turning on her heel and striding to her car. She drives off with screeching tires.