The horizon line

Here we are! Another chapter for you all. If you have any requests of what you'd like to see, please let me know! This one is when Bailey asks about Derek. Meredith is with Nathan in this AU.

Happy reading!

It'd happened out of the blue one morning.

"Mommy... Who's my daddy?" Bailey asked, his deep blue eyes filled with confusion.

Meredith's heart broke at that.

Bailey was only little when Derek died, barely three years old.

Zola looked at her mom anxiously.

"Hey Zozo. Why don't you go get that puzzle you wanted to do set up? I'll bring Bailey in shortly, okay?" Meredith suggested as her eldest nodded.

"Okay! Don't take too long though." Zola grinned slightly.

Once Zola had left, Meredith spoke again.

"Do you not remember daddy?" Meredith asked.

Bailey shook his head.

Grabbing her cell phone, she opened a folder called 'Derek and Bailey'.

"Is that

"Is that...me?" Bailey asked tentatively.

"It is." Meredith smiled.

"Is that daddy?" Bailey asked, smiling softly.

"It is, and he loved you so much. More than you'll ever know." Meredith replied as she ruffled her sons hair.

"And do you know something else?" Meredith asked.

"What?" Bailey replied, confused.

"You are exactly like him. The way you laugh, the way you smile, your crazy hair and most of all your big heart." Meredith smiled at her son as he beamed.

"I promise you, even if you don't remember your daddy, all you have to do is ask and someone will always tell you about him." Meredith said firmly.

"Always?" Bailey asked.

"Always." Meredith echoed.

"What about Daddy Nathan?" Bailey asked confused.

"What about him?" Meredith asked, confused about what her son was asking.

"Is he still my daddy too?" Bailey asked.

"Definitely. Biologically, you came from me and daddy. But you are a lucky boy and have daddy Nathan too." Meredith smiled.

"Can I still call him that?" Bailey asked.

"Of course you can, why would you think you couldn't?" Meredith asked confused.

"I don't want to upset Daddy." Bailey asked, his eyes sad and his lips trembling.

"Oh Bailey! Baby... Don't cry. You won't upset daddy, I promise. If you want to call Nathan, Daddy or Daddy Nathan then I know your daddy would be more than okay with that." Meredith soothed as she hugged Bailey.

"Now how about we go find Zola and help her do her puzzle?" Meredith suggested as Bailey wiped his eyes and grinned.

"Yeah!" He exclaimed as he jumped off the chair and ran into the lounge.

Meredith smiled.

She knew that there would come a time in the future where both the kids will struggle with the loss. But with the support of their mom and Nathan and Grey Sloan, they'll never have to face it alone.