Brazen

"$74.85." She said it so casually. Just another number to her. Doubtless, she'd forget it as soon as I left, especially since there was a line of customers behind me.

We are the group of "Last Minute Christmas Shoppers."

It's easy to forget things. My year is jam-packed full of crappy hours and useless information. I don't have enough storage space for keeping a list of what to buy for people. Even if I asked them what they want, I usually forget. Not enough space, not enough attention. I just don't know what to buy.

I shouldn't make excuses, though.

Sometimes, we just don't have time. Busy, busy, busy. Busy making sure our kids are fed and at least somewhat presentable for the last bit of school this year, keeping food on the table, wondering how we are going to pay for that really expensive gift (which is the only one we can recall because it's so costly) for our loved one. Money doesn't fix our problems. It can help sometimes, but it's never going to fix them. However, I'm caught in the lie that it just might and here I go, working my butt off trying to get more and more and more, but it never changes anything. Just comes one day and is gone the next...

Oh, I'm just rambling.

I grabbed my wallet without realizing the zipper for my coin purse wasn't secure and when I flipped the wallet around, every coin fell.

The counter, the floor, my shoes, under the cart of the woman behind me, coins everywhere.

I heard snickers, I saw the face of the cashier drop in surprise. A child behind me whispered, "Oh, no!"

All I could do was stare in shock. It's almost Christmas and these people needed their gifts. I was holding up the line. I had made a fool of myself and loudly drew attention to my foolishness with hundreds of clinking and ringing noises from my wave of pathetic accidental fumbling.

I closed my eyes.

For three seconds, I stood unmoving. No breathing, no smiling, no crying. The music in the store loud while the rest of the shoppers watched me.

When I opened my eyes, the cashier looked at me sympathetically, wondering what I was going to do with this mess.

No use in crying over it. Time to brazen it out.

"What a klutz I am." I smiled. "I'm very sorry."

I smiled while pulling the coins from the counter into my purse.