Chapter 1: Johnny Cage

Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment
Presents

A NetherRealm Studios Production

Mortal Kombat

Our story begins on the battle grounds of an epic battle between Earthrealm and Outworld. Long ago Shao Kahn attempted to invade Earthrealm under the watch of the Elder Gods, but they retaliated with a tournament featuring Earthrealm's mightiest warriors going toe-to-toe with the servants of Outworld. Warriors from all kinds have been defeated, left for the vultures to feast on. In the background of this horrible bloodshed appears a staircase with a giant fire hurricane coming out of it. On top of it, two warriors can be heard fighting atop it. The first fighter goes crashing down onto the ground, groaning as he feels pain all through out his body.

 The first fighter goes crashing down onto the ground, groaning as he feels pain all through out his body

This was Raiden, defender of Earthrealm. He was brought to the Elder Gods when the last few Mortal Kombat tournaments began to find those who would fight to defend their home against Shao Kahn's forces, but ultimately failed. The second fighter was Shao Kahn himself, or as Raiden knows him as his brother.

 The second fighter was Shao Kahn himself, or as Raiden knows him as his brother

Shao Kahn: Where are the Elder Gods, Raiden?

Where are the Elder Gods indeed? For years Shao Kahn has been forced to fight Raiden's chosen fighters for Earthrealm, but he was tired of losing to the rules gifted by the Elder Gods. He chuckles to his brother's attempt to fight the inevitable and picks him up off the ground.

Shao Kahn: Their pathetic Mortal Kombat shackles me no longer.

The vengeful Kahn pummels Raiden's face in, throwing punch after punch. After the senseless pummeling, however, Shao Kahn tosses Raiden aside, letting him slowly crash down onto the ground. As he falls to the opposite side of the tower, his amulet falls off and breaks upon impact. The elder brother lands hard on the ground as Shao Kahn makes his way towards him, while also summoning his war hammer.

Shao Kahn: They masquerade as dragons, but are mere toothless worms.

Raiden turns himself around, hoping to get back up to his feet and continue fighting, but Shao Kahn beats him to the punch, quite literally. Shao Kahn stomps on Raiden's chest, crushing anymore chances of him defeating the ruler of Outworld.