Chapter 4

Dorrian

"Kenshi Takahashi." Dorrian said as he pulled out the swordsman's katana from its sheath. He could hear Kenshi awaken, mumbling something before the sound of jostling metal echoed around the room.

"Wha- what's going on?" Kenshi asked from the bed. Dorrian glanced at the man, his blue eyes filled with worry, fear and confusion. The room was drenched in darkness, with only a stream of morning light escaping through the blinds of the window. "Who are you?"

Dorrian looked back to Kenshi's sword and grimaced. "I would have thought you of all people would pay attention." Dorrian held the sword out to the stream of light, creating a reflection on the bed that sent another towards the ceiling. The blanket was hardened, changed into steel using his magic. The little drop of potion in Kenshi's food put him out like a light. "My name is Prince Dorrian. You fight for Earthrealm against my champions."

"Why are you here?" Kenshi asked, trying his best to wiggle his way out from under the metal sheet.

"'You fight for Earthrealm against my champions.'" Dorrian repeated as he watched the sunlight dance and sparkle around Kenshi's sword. "There is magic in here. Did you know?"

"What are you talking about?" Kenshi asked. Dorrian raised a brow and tilted his head. "It's my family sword."

"I see." Dorrian muttered and looked closer at the metal. "It's... alive. Interesting."

"I can show you exactly how interesting the sword is." Kenshi said through grit teeth. "Let me out, and you'll get a personal lesson."

Dorrian chuckled and sat up. "As honored as I might be, I am here for one specific reason."

Kenshi struggled against the metal. "You speak of honor like you know what it means!" Kenshi yelled. "Why even wake me up? Why not just kill me when I was asleep!?"

"I was hoping you would know more about your sword." Dorrian sighed and looked down at the sword with a disappointed look. "It seems I was wrong. As are you, Mr. Takahashi. I do not plan on killing you." Dorrian looked at Kenshi, seeing his confused look change as Dorrian turned the sword in his hand, reflecting the light and making Kenshi flinch back from the rays of sunlight shining over his eyes.

~~~~~

Dorrian walked back to his room and saw Skarlet waiting for him, along with Shang Tsung and one of his guards. Dorrian hoped he could work on his plan in silence. "Skarlet." Dorrian greeted as he walked past Shang Tsung and the guard. He noticed the guard's lack of mask and the gain of many bruises. "I had hoped for a bit of silence." Dorrian said as he started to rummage through the desk, trying to find the records of the Lin Kuei assassins and their current roster of men.

"I apologize, my prince." Skarlet said. "But Shang Tsung says this is important."

"Does he say it's important, or is it actually important?" Dorrian asked.

"One of my guards was attacked last night." Shang Tsung reveals.

"I have eyes." Dorrian cringed at his use of words, considering what he just did moments ago. The prince looked at the guard who was staring down at the ground in shame. His face was bloody, with a black eye and split lip. "What happened to him?"

"He was guarding the port." Shang Tsung said. "A rowboat arrived and when this man searched it, he was attacked, and his clothes stolen."

"Right." Dorrian turned to Skarlet. "How exactly is this my problem?" Skarlet shrugged and Shang Tsung scoffed at Dorrian's dismissive attitude.