Chapter 5: I Cause A Debate Between The Cohorts

Hey guys!

I'm like so into Wattpad these days...and I've been especially occupied with life and stuff. I've also updated most of my works and I'm working on the second chapter for "Soulmates".

Anyways, enjoy!

Lavinia gave me directions to a changing room and gave me a purple SPQR shirt, and also a new pair of jeans. I dressed quickly since I knew the praetors were waiting for me, and I knew they wouldn't appreciate it if I was too slow.

I came out of the changing room and hurried back to the principia. Frank and Hazel was talking to each other in hushed tones. Frank nodded at me when I came close, but there was still a tension between me and him and Hazel. They started walking, and soon there were two people from each cohort's barracks wearing togas and walking towards New Rome.

"Rio." Hazel said, "Come with us." We – Hazel, Frank, and I – walked towards New Rome. Terminus, god of boundaries, stopped us and asked us tons of questions, and asked me to put my cloak in a perfect 180 degree angle. He also had an assistance, a girl named Julia. She was a cute girl with blond pigtails. People bustled all around us, speaking in different languages. Shops were all around us, but our trio headed straight for an old marble house. Even though it was old, it was still huge, and I recognized it as the Senate House.

Lavinia jogged up behind us, wearing a formal toga, but it was pastel pink, embraided with a pair of dance slippers and a delicate staff. "Seriously," she said to Frank and Hazel, "You guys really need to change my schedule. I have guard duty, and I gotta go straight for a senate meeting? Togas are really hard to wear; the Lares had to help me!"

"Not now, Lavinia. Not now." Hazel murmured. Frank gripped the edge of his praetor's cloak and marched straight ahead grimly.

The people in front of the Senate House parted for the Frank and Hazel and me. Some gave me a second look, but due to the praetors in front of me, nobody said anything.

The senators and Lares started to fall in. Even though only half of the seats were full, it was an astonishing sight. Veterans from the city chatted nervously, while the Lares gossiped. Frank and Hazel took off towards the middle of the audience, while Lavinia led me to the left part of the Senate.

"Attention, please!" Frank called and tapped his hands on the stand in front of him. "We have a new recruit, and she arrived just before the meeting of the Senate. Centurion Lavinia Asimov found her, and she is right in the midst of us. Rio Burgundy, rise, please."

I stood, and once again with shaky legs. Lavinia gave me a smile and stood with me, then put a hand on my left shoulder. Hazel continued, "Rio Burgundy showed great strength and skill while battling Lycaon. May I present you to the descendant of Poseidon and legacy of Mars."

Ave! Hail! Everyone said. "You may sit down now, Centurion Asimov and Rio. We have more matters to discuss." Hazel said. Me and Lavinia sat. "A new evil lord is rising again, and yet, we do not know who he might be. Two monsters have attacked Rio, according to both her and Lupa, one of our patron goddesses. The first, Manticore, king of manticores, who had not been seen in millennia, well, once, but that is...Arroyo's battle, according to the letters. Then, Lycaon himself, without his pack, according to Centurion Asimov and Rio herself. The evil lord rising again might be so bad that Lupa would send her wolves to support the legion."

I stood again. "Praetor, if I may," I started to say, "Lupa did send some of her fiercest warriors to hunt for Lycaon, which is why he didn't come here with his pack. His aura is easy to detect, and Lycaon told us himself that he and his wolves are in twos or threes, surviving on their own."