025

Cyclops island was surprisingly... peaceful. Lush green pastures, tropical trees, and sandy beaches. As they sailed towards the shore, sweet, fresh air filled their lungs. "The fleece," said Esmeralda.

The fleece is what was keeping the island so lively. Its power could heal Thalia's tree, and just about anything.

"If we take it away, will the island die?" Percy asked.

Esme shook her head. "Not die, it will just return to its original state."

Down in the meadows, dozens of sheep roamed freely. Grazing peacefully on grass. Esme thought they were being pranked, there was no way the fleece was just left on an unprotected island. It wasn't until a deer sprang from the woods that she actually understood. It took at most two steps before it was crushed in a pile of wool and hooves. Fur flew through the air for a moment, and a second later the sheep dispersed, returning back to their grazing. Where the deer had once stood, now was left a pile of clean bones.

Esmeralda looked at Percy and Annabeth. "Well..."

"They're like piranhas." Said Annabeth.

"Piranhas with wool." Percy added dumbly.

Em rolled her eyes, "I think we should use Percy as bait. So Annabeth and I can get the fleece."

Annabeth stifled a laugh as Percy's head snapped towards Esme. "Excuse me, why am I always bait?"

"Because you fit the description." Esme said with a charming smile.

"Which is?"

"Annoying and childish."

"Wow bold words coming from you. How about for a change you're bait, and me and Annabeth will get the fleece."

"It's Annabeth and I, loser. Use proper-"

"Alright enough." Annabeth interrupted. "No one's getting used as bait, and Percy, it's Annabeth and I." She confirmed.

Em crossed her arms with a smirk. Percy rolled his eyes, trying his best to hide his smile.

"We need a plan," said Annabeth, "one without bait."

"Why don't we ask Clarisse for help." Said Esme.

"What?" Percy asked. Em pointed to the shore where the other life boat from Clarisse's ship rested. It was vacant, which meant she was somewhere on the island. Which also meant she'd somehow gotten past the heard of fluffy piranhas.

The group came to the conclusion that there was no way they could get past the man eating sheep. Annabeth suggested using her cap but Percy reminded her that the sheep would smell her. Em thought of shadow traveling but she'd only ever done it on her own, she'd never tried transporting other people with her. They decided that was a little too risky at the moment and opted for something else.

Percy led the ship towards the back side of the island where steep cliffs shot upwards. Percy and Annabeth weren't too excited about climbing up that high. Esmeralda on the other hand seemed a little too ecstatic that her lava wall training would finally be put to use.

All in all, they'd only came close to death about six times. At one point Percy found a slippery spot and lost his grip. He dangled from the edge for a moment before regaining his grip. When the finally reached the top, Esme was no longer excited. They collapsed onto the grass with a heavy thud.

"Ow," she groaned. Her arms were sore and shaking from exhaustion.

"Grrr!" An unfamiliar voice bellowed.

If they hadn't been so tired they wouldn't ran as far away as possible. Unfortunately that wasn't even possible because the ledge the sat on was smaller than they'd thought. Annabeth crept towards the edge, they followed suit. Directly below them was the entrance to the cyclops cave. There stood Polyphemus, Grover in a wedding dress? And Clarisse, who was tied up, hanging upside down over a boiling pot.