Chapter five

The car ride to the electronics store wasn't very long, so Tre and I didn't get to talk too much. He asked why he hadn't seen me around before and so that opened up the conversation about where we're both from. Tre got to learn that I was from the vapid filled cesspool that is Los Angeles and in return he told me he lived in the mountain area two hours north of the Bay Area.

He pulled up in a car spot a few doors down from the store, just as he was beginning to whine about how much he hated living in “bumfuck nowhere”.

Silence fell over us as we both got out of the car, both of us making sure to lock our doors behind us as we made our way into the store. I meekly followed Tre, who approached the bored looking male retail worker who was leaning on the glass case in a stupor.

“Hello. Apparently we need these leads. I’m just the delivery boy, so I don’t know the answers to any questions you may have.” Tre stated as he slid the piece of paper along the glass with the handwritten list to the shaggy haired shop assistant.

I decided to leave Tre to his errand and went to go and peruse the store. I didn’t want to get in the way or hover around him uncomfortably.

Most of the products in the store were things I weren't interested in, however I found myself wandering over to where the walkmans were being displayed behind a glass case. I already had a walkman and I was pretty happy with it, but I was curious to see how later models might differ.

"Hey, do you need any help?" A second sales assistant asked from behind me.

I jumped as I didn't hear him coming and turned around to face him.

He was fairly good looking. Unlike his co worker he was far better groomed. He had his dark hair cut into a stylish do, paired with loose light jeans and a fitted white t-shirt tucked in. He reminded me of that guy from 21 Jump Street, the one that played Tom.

I instantly felt my cheeks heat up. Attractive people make me feel nervous, even if I'm not interested in them. Those sort of people had been bullying me my whole life and had made it clear I would never be their equal. It wasn't a coincidence my now ex-boyfriend was overweight with an unsightly face. I had been told my whole life by my peers (and sometimes even by my mother in anger) losers like him were the type of men I deserve.

But then I flashed my eyes towards Tre. I still felt a little edgy and unequal in his presence. But after the car ride I felt a little more comfortable around him.

"Just looking, thanks." I responded, not letting my gaze meet him as I kept my eyes on the glass case housing all the valuable products.

The worker didn't pick up on my attempt to dismiss him as he actually leaned across me with a wink, almost making contact with my hands, to recommend some of the walkman accessories they sell.

I looked up and then noticed Tre eyeing us. He pretended he wasn't watching but it was very obvious he was, as his head kept turning towards us. I sprang away from the shop assistant as I didn't want Tre to get the wrong idea.

"T-thanks. I'll think about this stuff." I lied as I quickly scampered back towards Tre who was now paying for the equipment Larry had requested. I didn't miss the shit eating grin that appeared over his face as he noticed me turn down the sales assistant.

Tre finished the transaction and without a word we both made our way to exit. However as I went to cross the threshold I found myself nearly colliding with two men who were attempting to enter the store.

“Oops, sorry!” I called out, softening my facial features out of fear they were about to turn nasty because I had almost bumped into them.

The first man was silent as he side stepped around me in order to enter the shop. The second man also followed suite, but he spoke up as he did so.