Goodbyes are never easy.

I wake up on the floor. It's still dark outside which is good. The night's not over. Should I wake Veneer up? 

"Hey, Veneer. Wake up" I shake him gently, he doesn't wake up so I go a little closer. "Heeeey wake up, c'mon" He still doesn't wake up.

I climb on top of him to wake him up, my legs on either side. "Wake uppppp"

His eyes flutter open.

"Five more minutesss"

"Veneer it's me, wake up."

His eyes open all the way this time.

"Oh hey Ritzy... Wait why are you on top of me? Don't tell me we!"

"What? No! I was just waking you up! I promise we didn't do anything!"

"Oh okay. Good morning."

"I don't think it's morning yet, pretty sure it's dark out."

"Wait actually? Then why'd you wake me up?"

Because I wanted to talk to him more

"I don't know I didn't want to be alone"

I wanted to be with him more before he had to leave.

"Gotchaaa. So are you gonna keep sitting on me or?"

I reach back down for another kiss. The whole world seems to melt away at the touch of his lips. His soft lips.

His hands wrap around my neck as all the problems in this world fade out of view. It's just me and him against the world. I break free for a second to feel his face. The soft skin against my hands. I move my lips down to his skinny neck, and I let my heart take control of my body.

Veneer lays under me unable to speak.

I want this moment to last forever. But it can't. It never will, no matter how hard I wish, he'll slip away.

I stop to look back into his eyes as he smiles at me.

I roll off him and lie down staring at the ceiling. 

"Ritz... I-"

My ceiling starts to fade away as my eyes close. I hear Veneer but I can't make out what he's saying. Everything fades to black again. 

I feel a hand reach for mine, a hot and sweaty hand.

This moment truly does last forever. Nothing can interrupt it.

Ring

Ring

Ring

I perk up to a cell phone going off. Veneer is still asleep so I creep up to get it. I can't tell where it's coming from. It doesn't even dawn on me that the power is back up and running.

"Mmm is that mine?" I hear faintly from the ground

"Yeah"

"Ughhh it's Velvet. Can you hand it to me?"

"Yeah sure"

I see the phone on my desk and hand it to Veneer who is starting to sit up. I sit down next to him.

"What?"      "I just woke upp"     "Yes I survived, I know you're so thrilled."           "When?"       "Yeah I'll be there."    "Mhm."      "Yeah bye."        

He falls back onto the floor.

"She's coming to get me in 5. Ughhh."

"5? 5 minutes? No offense man but you look like a mess."

"Wonderful observation bae."

I stand up and grab his hand to pull him up off the ground.

"I don't have any hair gel but you can still brush your hair, and feel free to keep my clothes. I have plenty."

"Yeah I was planning on it bae."

"Mhm c'mon let's get you ready."

I guide him to the bathroom so I can get him a brush.

"Uhh Ritzy.... what is this?!?!"

He's pointing to the giant hickey I've left on his neck. Pretty proud of that one.

"Yeah what about it?"

"I can't go out with this! I have to perform and go on TV and... see Velvet." 

His eyes widen as he realizes he has to confront his sister about who could've given him a hickey in his one night gone. 

"I'm sure you have some makeup to cover it up. Until then wear this scarf." I hand him my checkered rainbow scarf.

"You sure this will work? It's kinda tacky"

I chuckle "Positive."

I get a notification on my phone that someones at the door and me and Veneer give each other blank stares. I press on the speak button.

"Hello? Is this Velvet?"

"Duuh. Who are you again?"

"Kid Ritz, the person that interviewed you yesterday."

"Okay sure, so can you release my brother from your dungeon now? I kinda need him to perform and stuff." 

"Yeah he'll be down in a minute."

"We're important people, you can't keep me waiting all day."

"Mhm."

I look up from my phone to see Veneer tearing up.

"Ritzy I- I just want you to know that I hope we can meet again and..."

He goes in for a hug.

"Thank you Ritzy."

I wrap my arms around him not knowing when we'll be able to do this again. To be us.

"Hey Veneer, it's okay. I'll see you at our next interview okay?"

"But you won't see me. You'll see the person Velvet wants me to be. I'm not that person. I don't want to be that person."

"I know." I whisper running my fingers through his hair.

We pull out and I just can't help but admire him. He's so perfect. Everything about him from his long lanky legs to his green greasy mullet.

I give him one more kiss goodbye, I want it to last longer but time says otherwise.

"Goodbye Ritzy. Until we meet again." He says softly smiling.

"Yeah, until we meet again..."

And just like that he walks out. I'm alone. Again. Just like I always have, and just like I always will.