5. Who are you?

Thank you for all the votes.
I hope you all continue to vote and comment on your thoughts.

Murtasim

"Meerab." Anwar Chacha called her out.

Her steps halted, and she made no effort to turn around. We walked over to her while Maryam went to greet Uncle and Aunty.

I tried to move away, but Chacha Jaan held my wrist, shaking his head. I understood. He was scared and guilty. I stood my ground.

"I know Waqas unveiled everything. I am guilty, and you should punish me. But talk to your parents. They love you—more than me." Chacha Jaan's voice began shaking, but he stopped himself. My eyes darted to Meerab's stiff back. It looked as if she, too, was holding back. I heard her sniff, and she turned to us. Her eyes were glistening. She blinked a few times, and finally, her gaze landed on me and back to Chacha Jaan.

"I am not holding anything against any of you. I am guilty. I killed my mother. You lost your wife, and from what I heard, your love. I should apologize." Her eyes landed on me. Silence was in the air. Nervously, she gulped and proceeded, "And don't worry, I will proceed with the wedding as Uncle desired." Without waiting for our response, she walked upstairs and disappeared.

Anwar Chacha closed his eyes, letting his ears fall freely. "Murtasim, I loved your chachi too much. She was everything to me. I have been a horrible Dad. I should've taken care of my daughter. She won't ever forgive me."

To see a strong man breaking down in front of me caused havoc in my heart. Never in my entire life I saw Chacha Jaan shed a tear in front of me. However, he standing here and crying his heart out due to you to his daughter broke me.

Does love make you a weak man? Was it how it was for my father, too? Will it be the same for me as well?

I shook my head, "No, Chacha Jaan, she will forgive you once she comprehends her feelings. That's how Meerab is. She does not hold grudges for too long."

I had no idea why I was defending her. But I felt I had a duty to protect her, too.

"Murtasim, I did not ask you this. But I should've. Do you wish to marry my daughter?" I stilled. Yes or no. Perhaps. I don't know. I was confused; I have been perplexed for the last nine years.

"Chacha Jaan, you have been a father to me. If Baba had fixed my alliance even with my enemy, I would've gone through the wedding. He sacrificed his life for me. This is the least I could do to honor his memory. It seems like Meerab also has no restrictions." He hugged me and left.

I stood there alone- like always- hands tucked behind my shoulders, lost in my thoughts. Because of me, my family went through a ton of shit.

Mama came out, and her face lit up. "My Sher beta. I am so happy for you." She kissed my forehead, and I gave her my best smile- the one I have practiced over the years. "Why don't you freshen up, and we will discuss your engagement party at the dinner?"

***

The next few hours went with many meetings with landlords. No one disturbed me. As the clock hit 8, and the door knocked,

"Khan Sab, everyone is waiting at the dinner." I nodded and left my files where they were. I walked down to see everyone settled in. Mama was at the head, Anwar Chacha and Uncle Waqas on either side. While Maryam sank in her seat beside me, I could see her sulking face. Haya, as usual, was beaming at me. However, my eyes tried to find the one person. She was not present.

"Where is Meerab?" I asked, as I pulled the chair but did not sit.

Mama shared a look between Anwar Chacha and Waqas. They shook their head, "Beta, she is not feeling well. She is resting right now. I will give her the dinner later."