Summer's Here

'I have never felt so happy and sad at the same time in forever.' I said to myself during graduation. After 3 years of hell, I'll be going to high school. By hell, I mean the stress and all the work and drama. But this. This will be the last day of middle school and I've never felt so free from testing and the stress of drama.

"Annie Johnson." The principal calls my name. I stand up and go to get my award for AB honor roll. I hear some of my friends cheer for me. I smile at the principal as I shake his hand in return for the award. I walk back to sit down in my seat and wait for everyone else's names to be called.

"Max Ronalds." My heart skips a beat. I look at him and smile to myself as he gets his award. As he returns to his seat, he glances over to me. I pretend I was never looking at him. 'Chill Annie.' My subconscious says to me. I roll my eyes at myself and wait to cheer for my other friends as they stand up.

When everyone was finished getting their papers, the assistant principal for 8th grade made a little speech before telling us that we were finally high schoolers, how we should work hard and stay focused. I made that promise to myself, 'Next year will be different.'

I ran over to one of my best friends, Maya, after the ceremony. "Sup bitch!" She greeted me with a huge hug and gave her one too.

"I can't believe we're done with 8th grade now! High school will be amazing. Well, not as amazing. Why can't you go Riverdell High instead of Melrose?" I looked at her. "It'll be so boring without your craziness."

"I know. I hate that I'm not going to Riverdell. Mom's making me go. We can still text and hang out over the summer and during school, of course."

"Agreed." I smiled. "Okay well help me find other people. We're going to the mall after graduation, like in 30 minutes."

"I know. I gotchu." She started to look around for Jack, Jason, Aaron, Reggie, Reggie's friend, Dana, Tammie, Julie, Jamie, Pam, and Kim.

"Hey guys." Jason came up behind us.

"Hey! You going to the mall right?"

"Yeah, I'm bringing Jack along. I'll meet you there, Annie."
He gave Maya a hug, it's probably the last time he's gonna see her. He liked her a lot.

He left and we set out to find the others but I see Max. He's looking at me.
'Might as well.' My conscience spoke to me.

I walked to him with Maya.
"Hey Max. Can you go to the mall today, you know, after this? A group of us is going."

"Umm, I'll ask."

"Okay, well, just in case you can't: bye."

We hugged eachother. It wasn't those super romantic farewell hugs, but I could tell half of him wanted to hold onto me. The other half? I don't know.

"Bye Annie." He told me. We smiled at eachother and I walked away with Maya.

"You still like him, don't you?" Maya asked. "He's your ex, you need to quit."

"I know but I just... Can't." I said back. It's the third time I liked him since we first broke up in 7th grade. It's on and off for both of us. I'm sure I'll be over him before 9th grade ends. I smile at my thoughts.

We rushed over to Juile and Jamie, who are taking photos with friends and family.

"Hey guys. Can you come to the mall after this?" I asked.

"We'll ask but let's take a photo, ok?" Jamie asked. Maya and I posed for the photo with the twins and their family.

We left them after the photo. I'll text Julie later. I check my phone and see a message from my dad.
'Time to go. I'm in the car. Come out.'
'Okay', I replied.

Maya and I rushed to the band room to get our flute cases and walked out to the front. We looked at eachother.

"You're staying?" I asked her.

"Yeah. Mom can't pick me up."

"I'll miss you so much. You'll always be my main bitch."

"There is no one else that's like you. I'll miss you, bitch."

We hugged eachother so tightly. But no tears, we know we'll find a way to see eachother again.

I walked out to the front as she went the other way.
My head spoke, but it wasn't to me.

'Bye, Lakewood Middle.'