The Reaping Ceremony

Evangeline watched her classmates in their formal attire filing in around her and Sejanus

Evangeline watched her classmates in their formal attire filing in around her and Sejanus. They seemed excited to be here, which she couldn't have been more miserable. Evie and her family were among the few families in the captiol who weren't stuck up. They didn't look down on those who had less than them, and they didn't enjoy the way the districts were treated. However, this was there life and there wasn't much they alone could do to change it.

As Sejanus and Evangeline walked inside the building into a large room lined with seats. There were rows and rows in the back, with 24 chairs lined up in the front. These seats were reserved for the highest preforming students, Sejanus and Evie among them. They soon approached the large group of students conversing amongst themselves, some simply making conversation and others drinking champagne and eating finger foods. Among them were some of her classmates, such as Festus Creed, Arachne Crane, Felix Ravinstill, Clemensia Devcote, and Coriolanus Snow. None of which she really considered her friends. Her only friends in the capitol were Sejanus and Lysistrata Vickers who had yet to make herself known.

Sejanus, however, did consider Coriolanus as a friend. So, with a shared look, the two approached the group.

"Hello, Evie." Snow nodded his head to Evie.

"Coriolanus." She responded with a nod of her own.

"Your hair looks different today." He noticed, glancing her over from head to toe.

"It's just a braid, Snow. Is it illegal to wear a braid?" She rebutted.

"Of course not." Anything else he had to say was cut off by another classmate.

"Sejanus... You made it to the reaping for once." Festus greeted.

"And you made it to graduation, Festus. We're both shocked."

Evie couldn't help but laugh, which she tried to cover with a cough. She also noticed the hint of a small smile playing on Snow's lips as well.

"Spill it. Who won the prize?" Arachne's impatience was apparent in her tone.

The Plinth Prize was to be awarded to the highest ranking student with the best test scores, a prize Coriolanus Snow had been gunning for since he was just a boy.

"Oh, I'm not going to ruin my father's big day," Sejanus began. The Plinth prize was his father's idea, after all, and the prize money came from his father's pocket.

"No one here actually likes him but they do like his money." He licked his lips in thought, "You know what that's like, don't you, Arachne?"

"Funny." She sneered back.

A sudden presence near her caught her attention, and Evangeline turned to see the woman herself, Lysistrata Vickers, had arrived.

"Lyssie!" Evie smiled, bringing the girl in for a quick embrace.

"Good morning, Evie!" The dark skinned girl giggled back.

The sound of music drew their attention away from the conversation and up to the screens.