The throne

The silver haired emperor returned to his chamber after the burial. He never knew how cold and empty it was until now. He lay down on his bed, remembering his moments with her and...the acacia flowers she always carried. Tantai Jin took out the veil he embroiled for Susu, held it closely to his chest before closing his eyes.

Nian Muning stayed with him. General Ye asked her to look after him while he attended his grandmother. The young guard felt helpless hearing her master leaving. Before, she wished the demon girl would disappear and never torment him ever again. Since that day, she wanted to take it back, hoping the Third Miss would return to his side & go through the ceremonial marriage.

One of the Night Shadow Guards appeared whispering into her ear. She informed the emperor.

"Your Majesty! Someone would like to see you at the throne."

Tantai Jin remained motionless.

"This person insists on seeing you. Even brought in the last sinner responsible for the Third Miss's demise."

The young man slowly rose up, opened his eyes with a glint.

*****

The emperor was surprised to see the general return to the palace earlier than expected. He brought in a prisoner whose face was wrapped in a rugged bag before.

"Talk. Tell him everything you've done." Ye Chufeng pulled the bag out, revealing the young maid who always followed Ye BingChang.

"I-I-It's true. I helped Miss Commandery Princess Zhaohua, but I had no choice but to follow her orders. I didn't mean for any of this to happen."

No longer deceiving himself, the Tyrant laughed hysterically. "You think I'm a fool believing that? I know full well of your awareness of her activities, including her collaboration with the Eight Prince. You two had plotted to get rid of my Empress by all means."

"Didn't the Third Miss also betray you? She tried to kill you. How does that make her any different?"

Xiao Hui was too dumb to realize her mistake as Tantai Jin cruelly grabbed her chin. "Ye Xiwu...never sacrificed others' lives for her gains, especially her grandmother. Unlike the two of you who had no trouble using them to do your dirty work."

The maid was too scared to defend herself. "Ye Chufeng, for finding another member responsible for her death, I'll bestow you a reward."

"Thank you, Your Majesty. But it wasn't me who found her."

"It-It's me." The shock in the emperor's eyes as he heard a familiar voice along the sound of a cane. The old frail yet well-dressed elderly woman came out of the shadow. Along with her, another young girl held Old Madam Ye's hand. Tantai Jin recognized her as the maid who often accompanied Susu and helped him back at the Ye mansion. He released Xiao Hui from his grip.

"I came here after hearing rumors about Miss Xiwu. I saw Xiao Hui hiding at the temple near the city & overheard her confession. I went to find Madam Ye and General Ye and told them what I heard. They caught her just in time before she could escape."

Tantai Jin was speechless. He figured Chun Tao was relieved from her duty by Susu to protect her. He didn't expect she would come to bring justice for her mistress.

"Xiao Hui! You were supposed to help BingChang lead to a righteous path. But instead, you encouraged her to commit such despicable acts. Fueling her bitterness towards Xiwu that lead not only to her betrayal of the Ye clan, but also both kingdoms. Many lives were lost because of your ambitions, including my two granddaughters."

Xiao Hui was speechless hearing all their schemes being revealed by Old Madam Ye. A strong kick to her stomach sent her flying to the pillar. She spat out heavy blood from her mouth.

"This is my brother Nian Baiyu and Ye Xiwu."

Tantai Jin coldly threw the pouch he had kept since childhood at her. "This is the last remnant of your beloved Commandery Princess."

Xiao Hui desperately grabbed it with all her might.

"Take that sinner to the dungeon where that traitor was. Let her experience what her mistress endured."

The maid screamed to spare her & forgiveness as the Night Guards dragged her out of their sight. The Ye members and Chun Tao looked with pity knowing she would suffer the same horrifying fate as the First Miss Ye.

"Xiwu...My Xiwu...is truly gone, isn't she?"

The young man's face racked with guilt as he looked at her. He wondered countless times if he told her about her grandmother, would she had gone through with her plan. If he had trusted his instincts about the Hidden Dragon Guards, he would have given her the longevity flower she begged for.

Tantai Jin stared at his surroundings, recalling her boredom when she talked about the golden palace. He already knew his next goal.

"Old Madam Ye. It seemed your wish will finally come true."

The elder Ye was confused by his words. Tantai Jin took the jaded crown off his head, then his imperial rope and dropped them carelessly to the floor. Ming Ye, I understand the feeling you felt at that moment.

"I abolished myself as Zhou's emperor. I'm giving up the throne."