A promise to keep

Everyone felt as though they had thousands of arrows shot at them. The head eunuch Wei Xi panicked when he came in hearing this.

"Your Majesty! This was everything you wanted. If you abandon it, who will next in line?"

In the past, he dreamt of pursuing power to make thousands kneel before him. To take back what was meant for him, to punish those who humiliated him.

But now...none of it mattered.

The Soul Extinguishing Nails were acting up again, causing the young man to crunch down in pain, holding his chest.

Chun Tao rushed to his side without thinking, helping him get back to his feet. Something fell from him.

"DON'T TOUCH IT---!!"

Startling by his ferocity, Chun Tao stopped herself from picking it up and hurried back to Madam Ye. The Tyrant quickly retrieved the veil, clutched it tightly to his chest as if it was his last hope.

This was the first time both women saw how much he had changed. Not just his hair, but his entire dementor was like a broken doll compared to his former glory. Madam Ye had her suspicion of his feelings towards Xiwu since he forced her to come to the Zhou palace, but never thought they would grow this far.

"If you loved her that much, how can you be such a bastard?" She boldly walked toward the youth, pulling his shirt as her eyes watered, "Why didn't you let me see her? I could have saved her.  Your cruel vindictiveness was the reason my Xiwu was taken away from us."

Old Madam Ye began to cough heavily, forcing her to let go of her grip.

"Grandmother, please! Save your strength." Ye Chufeng moved to her aid, fearing his Majesty would punish his frail grandmother for her actions.

But instead, the young man stood up quietly like a statue. His lifeless eyes continued staring at the floor. Until tears began to shed from them, which surprised the elderly as she had never seen him cry.

Everything was his fault. He allowed himself to fall into Ye BingChang's trap easily. What a fool he was when that b*tch revealed he was just another pawn for her to become the empress. Like Pang Yi Zhi. And Xiao Lin. He regretted using the puppet spell on Susu to kill him and mocking this on her.

This time, he was truly alone.

"I will live for thousands and millions of years. No matter how long it takes, I'll bring her back."

Everyone was startled by his crazy speech.

"Don't be absurd! She's gone. Even if you succeed, how will you make up for the pain you caused her."

Tantai Jin looked strangely hearing Madam Ye scolding him. It reminded him how Ye Xiwu would usually do before she beat him or when he fell into her schemes.

Life after life. Even at the end of darkness, I never want to see you again.

He wiped his tears out before walking slowly towards them. The Ye members and the maid were cautioned about what he would do next. The youth lifted Madam's palm and, to her surprise, gently handed her the veil.

"I promise...I'll treat her right...When I find her...I would do anything to make it happen."

The two were mesmerized at the beautiful embroiled golden phoenix. The maid could tell it was crafted with joy and love poured into it.  Tantai Jin walked away like an undead person who was left behind.

"Have them visit the imperial tomb.  Once they leave, seal it."

He left without looking at them as the gates closed.  Madam Ye felt a pang watching him.  She shouldn't feel pity at the man who destroyed the great Xia country and her proud Ye clan.  But...neither the kingdoms nor her own clan had treated the former hostage prince well his whole life.  Perhaps this was their punishment, including Xiwu's strange behavior.  And her death.  

"Chufeng, take me to your sister's resting place."

"Yes."

"Also..." Lady Ye suddenly held their hand.  "I have a request for the two of you." 

****

The morning spring sun had risen outside of the Zhou palace.  Tantai Jin wore his traveling black outfit.  He prepared his chestnut horse; placed the money & food he needed in the casquet before sitting on its back.

Nian Muning wore her tribe clothes, supporting his decisions to return to the Yue tribe.

"You really mean it about leaving. The Zhou Kingdom will crumble without a royal bloodline, the people will revolt, and the ministers will use your absence for their greed."

 Tantai Jin remained unhinged, gazing upon the opened gates.

"This place...is too cold to stay.  Let them tear each other."

"Yes!" She bowed her head, accepting nothing would change his mind.

"Mr-Your Majesty Tantai Jin!"

The two looked that the figure running to them.  Nian Muning drew her sword, but her master stopped her.  Chun Tao appeared next to him, catching her breath. 

"I made it."

Tantai Jin was startled at her timing.  "How did you-"

"The Second Master told me when and where you would be.  He'll accompany you after he moves Madam Ye somewhere safe.  She asked me to deliver her message to you. "

The boy was cautious about this.

" 'If you mean what you said, prove yourself worthy by protecting her at all costs.'"

Chun Tao took out a Qiankun pouch and held it before him.

"'Once you see this, it means you accept my bet.'"

Tantai Jin carefully took it in his hand.  As soon as he felt the item, he knew what it was after drawing it out.