The Jade Pendant

How could he have forgotten it?

The first gift he received from Susu, given at birth by the previous Xia emperor.

At that time, the youth didn't understand its significance as it brought him warm light he never experienced. He coldly cast it aside and kept the safety amulet before his escape. The silver-haired boy was overjoyed having his treasured gift back and clenched it hard to his forehead.

"Miss gave this to Elder Madam for protection before the war. Now Elder Madam passed it on to you, hoping it would lead you back to her."

Tantai Jin stayed still until his hand hovered over his left eye.

"Tell the old lady I accept."

Chun Tao cheerfully smiled while Nian Muning was astonished at the scenery. Tantai Jin no longer behaved like a walking demon corpse. His dark eyes burned with determination. He gently placed the jade back in the pouch and tied it around his waist.

Chun Tao saw something aiming at him and jumped in front of him. An arrow pierced her back. The youth watched in shock as she fell before his arm caught her.

"Your Majesty!" Wei Xi and soldiers blocked the gate. "Our people need you; the Zhou country needs you. As the last Royal bloodline, you must remain here and lead us to prosperity."

Tantai Jin didn't bother to hear his nonsense. He visioned the young maid as the woman who always protected him. He recalled the helplessness in his heart, begging her to come back. The person in his arms was one of the few whom Susu cared for and who remembered her existence.

The tiger was summoned and slaughtered the men surrounding the old man.

"Wei Xi...a coward like you...dare to order me..."

Hearing his master's cold voice shaken him to the core. The tiger came to his view, baring its wet fangs.

"I hate this world...I want to burn everyone with it...Yet...despite of it...she loved the common people...helping them...asking nothing in return...even to me."

He felt a familiar warmth in his pouch. He sworn he'd find her, and never let her suffer from his decisions again. He picked Chun Tao up and Nian Muning checked on her, her eyes beamed with relief, letting him know her life wasn't in danger.

"Spare that fool, kill the rest."

Everyone screamed as the tiger began killing. Tantai Jin and his guard walked past the corpses through the gates without concern.

They saw a hooded woman carrying a bow and arrows. Her image appeared before him.

"Ye...Xiwu?"

"Oh! Where's Third sister?"

The woman revealed to be the second eldest Ye's clan daughter, Ye Lanyi.

She helped him in the past in the mansion when he was forced to kneel for two days as punishment. The Second Miss looked different than before. Her dementor was hardened.

"Second brother sent me to help." She drew the teleportation formation accurately, surprising the youth. "Ready!"

Tantai Jin drew his sword to his palm.

The spell drained all his strength with the old Daoist the last time. With the divine marrow, his body was no longer weak and recovered faster after giving her his blood. Before they stepped into the formation, Tantai Jin spotted a flaming torch and picked it up.

"Considered this...as revenge for Ye Xiwu and your clan."

Ye Lanyi was surprised he threw it toward the library. Fire burned instantly the building. Wei Xi ran panicking as the sacred memorial storage was destroyed before his very eyes and calling the guards. Tantai Jin escaped entering the formation.

****

They teleported into a forest far from the palace. Tantai Jin couldn't remember which place he thought of but couldn't shake the feeling it was important.

He went to Chun Tao. Her life wasn't in danger, but she hadn't regained consciousness. Ye Lanyi went to them with the supplies, requesting him to let her treat her wounds.

"The library...everything about you and your achievements...are all gone."

"If it bothers you that much, get out."

Nian Muning didn't rebuff his attitudes as he had already proven his lengths at the water festival.

Chun Tao slowly woke up. She saw the silver-haired boy staring at her with worry, which made her smile.

"Mis...Majesty...are you alright?"

His shaken hands held gently to hers. "Why..."

"In my heart...I only saw you...worthy being Third Miss's husband...Hearing you'll...find her...proves I'm right..." She returned to sleep after her confession.

"I'm surprised you'd care, unless it was all an act again." He heard the hardness in the woman's voice before his face was slapped.

"Their marriage was never annulled, so he's still family. " Nian Muning saw her master warn her to obey.

"Do you know what Third Sister went through after the war?"

His eyes turned back to Ye Lanyi.

"She told me since that day, Third Sister lost that beautiful smile she had. Whenever you're mentioned, her eyes become cold and distant." She saw his head turned away. "You destroyed the hope she had in you and let her die with a broken heart!"

He bit his lips hard trying to hold himself together.

"What you did back there, thank you!" The boy suddenly heard the optimism in her voice. "If you mean it, bring that smile back."

He remembered the smile Susu always had on her face.

How...Can I...bring it back to her? "Wait!"

He took out the lock charm underneath his shirt.

"It commands all the Night Shadow Guards. The Ye clan's survival is slim if both empires come after you. This is the only thing that can keep you safe."

"But-"

"It's useless where I'm going. I'm sure...she would wanted it too."

The Second Miss thought carefully of his offer and accepted the charm.

"Alright. I trained secretly how to fight and cast spells during my marriage. I swore I'll never follow First sister's footsteps and protect my clan."

Ye Bingchang's mother, and her younger brother came to her after Second Brother took them out of the palace. Ye Lanyi was shocked Little Four told her in secret that First Sister looked at him with killer intent.

Just like Third Sister for the empress title.

"Can you take her too? Ye Xiwu used to look after her. She's...the only one who believes in us."

"Uhm." He brought Chun Tao over to her while she prepared another teleportation spell. Once it's done, she activated it. "Tantai Jin...good luck."