Prologue

Rin

Several years ago

I had forgotten.

The smells and sounds hitting me all at once, when I came upon my destination. The chipped and broken Welcome to Galveston sign, on my way in a bad sign, an omen. But I had a job to do.

I walk into the hole in the wall bar and spotting my brother and not alone in a corner booth. Typical. I make a detour to the bar not in the mood to deal with Cervantes crap tonight, and judging by his company at the booth crap was all he had swinging my way.

Passing the demure smiles and admiring eyes that followed me unabashedly, as I weaved my way through the sitting patrons to the wooden bar ordering the strongest drink they had. The man at the bar next to me had removed the newspaper from his nose, eying me as I nursed my hard liquor. My eyes slip to the front page of the gazette in his hands again reading it: Are Vampires Real? Does the Underworld actually exist?

How ironic.

As I give the burly man a nod when he dismisses me just as quickly. Typical. Not that I expected any less here. I was no one here Above Ground a.k.a‐-A G and it had been perfect. For a time. But that bubble had popped along with my solitude the minute I saw my brother about an hour ago.

Finding out about the potential trouble brewing here, that apparently had been going on for months. Seeing Cervantes outside my home, reminding me of my born obligatory duty, asking me if I wanted to join him on this little quest.

Cervantes hadn't said a word passing the piles of wild animal carcasses outside my front porch earlier--that I hadn't bothered to--be bothered with. Before taking out his mini bottle of hand santizer giving his arms and hands a rigorous scrub--a habit I'd teased him mercilessly about when wewere growing fledglings.

I imagined how I was choosing to feed now he found most offensive.

Yet, he hadn't said a word.

I should have known my brother wouldn't let it go. Downing my last shot. Wishing I had come prepared before this little meeting, sating my hunger on the road. I had underestimated my brother. Reaching in my bock pocket pulling out a hundred-dollar bill placing it on the bar.

Telling myself we had a job to do the reason I were here to clean house. Take out the trash. But first I had to deal with my brother on a mission with me, tonight, and not the one we were here for.

As he had made a sultry nook for the human women he had chosen tonight, probably some he had picked up outside, with his arms stretched across the back cushion as one lay already asleep on his chest. As the others had scooted closer placing lingering kisses along his jaws and throat, unabashedly aroused and ready for whatever came next guessing that was me. In top quality for feeding my brother would have nothing less, as he smiled introducing them. "Ladies I'd like you to meet my little brother. Little brother, the ladies."

The smell of their arousal a tangible thing in the air, flaring my nostrils. As the one closest to me patted the seat next to her and seeing red I had quickly blinked my eyes before looking at my brother.

Wanting to wipe the smirk off his face pinning him with a murderous glare as I slid into the booth opposite of her-which mattered not-as she quickly got up coming over sliding in next to me.

I glared at my brother. "This is your idea of a business meeting?"

"Consider it a preliminary," Cervantes smiled, "Her name is Jordan. Though she'd prefer you call her whatever you like." Cervantes replied when he quickly looked at the front entrance, as did I, the scent distinctly separate as four young men entered-at least giving the appearance of.