2. Memories

It always started the same way.

The dream.

As I would watch me running through the dark forest--but this me--was frightened. Scared to death. She ran as fast and hard as she could. As she stood behind a tree, hidden. Trying to catch her breath. Thinking about them catching up to her and draining her body of blood or tearing her to pieces.

She'd seen the flyers in town.

When we both heard them. She'd cringe in horror while I grew impatient.

They would ghost to a stop arguing with each other, there would be two of them. But I had memorized their faces their flawless faces.

"Is she really worth it? We should leave now. They're going to be after us."

The blonde pushed the other one. "You're pathetic. I'm hungry."

"We'll feed in Canada or anywhere else long as its far away from here. From them!"

I never knew the them they spoke of.

"You think I care about them? Nothings changed. I want to know what she taste like. No human has ever gotten passed us. Maybe she's the one we've been looking for."

I had slipped up tonight taking a walk through the woods thinking it would be the better option than being out in the open at night in the city when I'd seen flashing eyes of red.

I had dropped everything and ran.

It would be the last thing ever said between them.

As they would suddenly break apart turning in the opposite direction of me switching gears and taking their fighting stances, crouched down growling, frantically searching the woods they'd just come from away from me.

Teeth bared and fangs descended.

As if they, themselves, had heard the most menacing sound in the quiet night (I only heard them.) But ready to go to battle with whatever approached them or face certain death.

As I had shut my eyes hidden behind the tree. Too paralyzed to move or do anything, hearing the growls in the air, the sounds they made.

They fought each other.

Cursing my stupid fate that I had been caught by them. That I was out here, period, in the middle of the night.

I never saw it happen I never saw anything, as if it happened in the blink of an eye. The sounds of tearing flesh and crushing bone I heard. Like shattered glass.

When it happened.

Seeing the deadened eyes of the blonde on the snowy ground as it rolled near my feet when I'd get my feet to move, and I'd take off running. Doing the exact same thing. But this me knew it was a dream, a memory. Like I knew I wouldn't get far. Like I knew what happened next, each and every time, as he'd catch me and I'd wake up.

Sweat beading off me I sprung from bed, going to the bathroom, switching on the light. I turn on the sink splashing my face, cooling down my heated skin and calming my beating heart.