The Hot Chocolate

Ethan

Tick tock, Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock, tick tock, tick tock, tick tock, tick tock, tick tock, tick tock-

The alarm clock on my table was driving me crazy. Like literally crazy. I wasn't able to fall asleep last night and that annoying noise was not helping at all. I need to get some sleep. I'm around six months from graduating as valedictorian from my school and every single grade and opportunity could crush that possibility. I had no doubt I would get the spot. No doubt. Maybe a little doubt. I mean, I could very easily get it. The only "thing" in my way was her: Amelie Broz.

Amelie had always been annoying. I've known her since grade school. Ever since I was congratulated by our third-grade teacher, Ms. Nott, because of my perfect report on our class caterpillar project, she has a lifelong mission to absolutely best me in everything. So, I amused her for a while, until I also made it into a lifelong mission to see her annoyed every single day. We had always competed for club leaderships, volunteer work and, more importantly, being the best in school. But at least I act civilly towards her, which is more than she can say. There is no denying she is utterly brilliant, though. That might be the only nice thing I can say about her. Refusing to acknowledge that is just stupid.

Ring, ring; ring, ring; ring, ring; ring, ring; ring, ring; ring, ring; ring, ring; ring, ring; ring, ring; ring, r-

I turn to see my alarm clock jumping up and down. Monday morning, 6:00 a.m. Time to start my day.

---

Like I do every morning, I get out of bed and take a hot shower to help wake my body up. Then, I choose my outfit for the day: a collared shirt with a dark turquoise sweater on top, jeans and some sneakers. I walk to the kitchen and make myself some breakfast. While I'm eating it, I turn on the news. A well-rounded citizen is always paying attention to what is happening in their nation. To make opinions, it is necessary for people to have information about whatever they are making opinions about (even if getting unbiased facts might be a little impossible nowadays). I've had that policy for (almost) everything. After I finish my breakfast, I wash my dishes and put the leftovers on a plate in the microwave so my parents and sister can eat it in a few minutes. I finish getting ready and give each of my family members a kiss on their cheeks before I leave home.

When I get in the car, I turn on the radio to hear some songs. The dash-clock reads 7:00 a.m. I drive down to the Denny's close to my high school to pick up some drinks. I get to the school's parking lot and park my car in the student area. As I got out of the vehicle, another car passed by. Amelie parked next to me, like she usually did. When she got out of her car, she grabbed her bag from the passenger's seat. I walk over to her and hold out her take-away cup.

   "Good morning." I greeted her, smiling.

At first, I got a rolling pair of eyes followed by a sigh. After she got out most of her grumpiness, she analyzed my outfit and stance.

   "Good morning to you too." - She replied with a slight frown, taking the cup from my hand, meticulously inspecting it as if something in it might kill her - "What did you get me this time?"

   "Hot chocolate, it's early winter and I've heard that that was your favorite drink for this time of year."

   "Hm." Her suspicion didn't falter.

   "You're very welcome."

   "I didn't say 'Thank you'."

   "You didn't have to."

She let her frown disappear a little bit, so I smirked. She started walking quickly towards the side entrance of the school and I ran to catch up to her. She walked faster but, thankfully, I'm taller, so I had no problem in catching up. She frowned and gave up, lowering her pace. I did the same.