Car Drive

Lacey and Jennifer entered the house together to get a couple of bags full of clothing for a few night stays. Jennifer threw out her overnight bags that were under her bed as her friend began looking for her overnight clothes. She then took a look at the pearl necklace and placed it on the bed beside her bags. 

"Which outfits did you want to take Jennifer and how long are you wanting to stay? I understand not wanting to be here because you would be all alone and David barely ever answers his phone."

Lacey continued looking through her pajamas and pulled out a few for Jennifer to pick from to go in the bag. 

"If I could just a couple of days to figure this out to make sure our house isn't being watched and that when I do return here I am safe. I need to talk to David."

"That is the problem, he never answers his phone Jenn. This was an example of an emergency you needed him for and he didn't even answer."

Jennifer looked over at her concerned about the situation and took a sigh.

I mean Lacey was right. He barely ever answers his phone and when she really needed him no call back.

"Let's just get these bags packed and get out of here. I want to just go."

Lacey continued to help her friend pack her bags with overnight clothes as well as some casual wear to change into while gone. She saw the pearl necklace and placed it inside of the bag in the side pocket for Jennifer to take with her. The bags were zippered up and all ready to go.

"Alright Jenn, let's get out of here and head to my place. If you want to try David again on his cell you can call him while driving and then again once we get to my house."

The two of them left the home, locking the door and heading to the car, threw the bags in the trunk and then drove off going to Lacey's place. During the ride Jennifer thought about the assumed break in and how David wasn't answering his phone. She took out her cell phone and dialed his number hoping to get an answer. It was then that she did when she heard him answer with a simple, "hello?". 

"David? This is Jenn. We need to talk."

"Jenn? I can't right now honey I am in a meeting."

"David Mars if you do not give me fucking five minutes out of your goddamn day!?"

David glanced up to see rows of co-workers staring straight at him. They heard his wife on the other end of the phone and it was causing a disturbance. His boss came over and placed a hand on his shoulder.

"Take the call David."

David nodded in slight embarrassment as he exited the meeting and stood outside so he could talk to Jenn.

"Okay Jenn I am here. What happened? What's wrong?"

"What's wrong? You didn't get any of the texts that I sent you or other phone calls? David, our home got broken into and I had to call the police. Lacey is here with me and we are heading to her place. I am staying with her for a couple of days."

"Hi David" Lacey said with a snarky tone.

"No I haven't had any time to look at my phone honey. You said the house got broken into?? I am glad you are okay and that Lacey came. I am sorry Jenn I didn't get any calls or texts from you."

"David, I am scared. The policeman is going to come by tomorrow to make sure the house isn't being cased because they found my pearl necklace on the floor as if they tried to steal jewelry. I am not going back until I know the house is safe."

"Okay Jenn. I will call the police station in the morning and I will let you know what I find out."

"Alright David. I just wanted to let you know what was happening. Have a good meeting."

"Wai--Jenn"

The phone clicked as Jennifer shook her head in disbelief at his response to the entire event. She couldn't believe he was so calm about the situation.

David sighed and looked at his phone, opening his messages to read them. There were missed calls and missed texts from Jennifer a couple of hours ago. He scrolled up and turned his phone off, heading back into the meeting.

In an hour they arrived at Lacey's house.

Thank god she had such a great friend like Lacey.