Chapter 28

"Are you sure this is a good idea?" Lyla asked Lynn as they approached the prison cell that a familiar face to Lynn was being held in.

"No, but we don't have a choice. She's too valuable to risk falling into the wrong hands." Lynn said as she glared down at the face of Dr. Helga Jace, who looked at them with a bored expression.

"Well, well, Dr. Lynn Stewart. Yes, I know who you are. I've managed to keep tabs on your work even from here. It's quite impressive. However, I don't know your friend." Jace said to Lyla.

"Lyla Michaels, Director of Argus and I know who you are Dr. Helga Jace and if it weren't for the current situation, I'd be letting you rot here." Lyla said.

"Meaning what?" Jace asked.

"The ASA has been shut down and all of its assets, including the kids you helped turn into metahumans that are currently in pods are now in Argus custody. Dr. Stewart here is the scientist we have in charge of the operation in stabilizing them." Lyla said.

"And you need my help to stabilize them." Jace said smugly.

"Nope. We have plenty of other geniuses who don't cross ethical lines who specialize in metahumans to consult with." Lyla said and Lynn looked very smug about that.

"Then what do you want from me?" Jace asked.

"Because according to our intel, there are still four pods unaccounted for. An old ASA team called the Masters of Disaster, which never should've existed. We've located the building the pods are contained in, but due to the renovations that have been made since the program was activated, we don't know where they are in the building, but I believe that you do." Lyla said.

"And what's in it for me, since I'm doubtful my freedom is on the table." Jace said.

"You're right about that. But name your price of anything else within reason." Lyla said.

"Then I want visitation with my son, a more comfortable cell and most importantly, protective custody." Jace said.

"The first two are done, but what do you need protective custody from?" Lyla asked, but Lynn knew.

"Markovia." Lynn said.

"You did your research on me didn't you doctor?" Jace asked.

"I did. I know that you helped create the Markovian metahuman program and that they really want you back." Lynn said and Jace nodded.

"It's only a matter of time until the Markovians discover where I am and I'd prefer to not have to go back there and be forced to work for them again." Jace said.

"That will cost you more than just the location of project MOD." Lyla said.

"What else do you want?" Jace asked.

"Intel that I can use to prepare for Markovia, since I have people working on that already, but you spent years working with the Markovians before the ASA helped you defect, you must have some information we can use." Lyla said.

"How does the reason the Markovian metahuman program started in the first place sound to you?" Jace asked, and she could tell she had them hooked.

"Like a good start. Keep talking." Lyla said.

"I'm also the one who created the serum that's used by one Tobias Whale." Jace said and Lynn's head perked up, since that was info even she hadn't known before.

"Tell us everything you know about that albino son of a bitch right now." Lynn said.

"I would if I could, but sadly, I haven't seen Tobias since he was one of my test subjects over 40 years ago. But I've heard rumors." Jace said.

"We've already got a cell waiting for Tobias Whale once we can find a way to make the charges against him stick, but any help you can provide with that will be treated as such. A bigger cell with a few luxuries of your choosing." Lyla said.

"We have a deal." Jace said, knowing this was as good as she was going to get.