Earthquake in Chang An

It was mostly a quiet night, as usual, when Zhu Zhi Yi wrapped up his work inside the Twelve-Guardian Community and Six-General Community of the Prince's Palace. He sighed and looked at the water wheel clock. Almost midnight. He should really wrap up and go home.

He neatly put the stacked papers on the side, put back his brushes, and inkstick to their places, tidied up his robes and took his sword. He locked the office behind him securely and walked soundlessly, making his way to the palace gate. The palace at night is quiet, a stark difference from the hustle bustle at day. Aside from the guards keeping watch, several eunuchs walking briskly, and a handful of court ladies, there were nobody else going his way.

He was about to reach the Danfeng Gate, when a maid whom he know served the Third Princess, walked slowly while holding a lantern for someone else walking with him. He looked carefully, wanting to know which higher official worked this late with the Third Princess, when he saw a familiar face. She was wearing a deep blue silk Ru embroidered with gold on her sleeves, and black Qun. Her hair tied up high, donned with three golden hairpins. Her scarlet lips smiled when she saw him.

"Lord Zhu, good evening"

Zhi Yi bowed to her, "Teacher Lan, good evening"

This lady is Lan Chao Yue, the first daughter of the Prime Minister, known for her intelligence during the last war against the rebels where she helped her father putting up the strategy to offer to the Emperor. Due to this great contribution, the Emperor then bestowed her the title of 'Young Teacher' and assigned her to teach Third Princess.

"It seems Lord Zhu is quite busy today?" Chao Yue asked

"No busier than any other day, Teacher Lan," Zhi Yi answered. "It seems, Third Princess is also working very hard?"

"Third Princess is very hard working indeed." said Chao Yue

Both of them already outside the Danfeng Gate now. A big carriage pulled by two horses already parked smoothly there. The coachman bowed to Chao Yue deeply and swiftly put down the steps for her.

"Does Lord Zhu also wait for a carriage?" Chao Yue asked.

Zhi Yi shook his head, "Apparently not. I did not ask for a carriage earlier"

"Then, would Lord Zhu mind if I offer him a ride home?"

"I don't dare to reject, Teacher Lan"

With that, Chao Yue climbed the steps to her carriage and Zhi Yi followed behind. Both of them sat in silence as the carriage moved slowly. The Chief Bureau of Military's residence is actually not too far from Prime Minister's residence hence that was why Chao Yue offered a ride to Zhi Yi.

It was another full ten minutes of silence before Chao Yue felt the carriage tilted. She gripped the edge of her seat to prevent her sliding towards Zhi Yi. When the carriage had stabilized again, she opened her curtain,

"What's wrong with the carriage?" she asked

"My apologies my Lady, the ground suddenly moved!" the coachman answered

"The ground moved?" Chao Yue muttered to herself.

"It couldn't be earthquake could it?" Zhi Yi quipped.

"Let's hope it's not" Chao Yue said.

Just when Chao Yue finished her words, the carriage tilted once more, this time it even tilted twice and shook. Startled with the sudden movement, Chao Yue slid towards Zhi Yi who instinctively held her shoulders as to make sure they do not topple over. Zhi Yi opened the curtain of the carriage and shouted to the coachman,