Betu

"Betu woh meri file dekhi?" Armaan was struggling with a critical case. Already running late, he skipped breakfast and scrambled the house for his files.

"Nahi Tayaji!"

"Nahi Armaan." The dining table erupted in laughter when Abhira and Aanchal responded to Armaan's call for the latter.

Aanchal was Roohi and Rohit's firstborn and the apple of everyone's eyes, especially Armaan's. Armaan and Abhira consciously decided to postpone having children for a couple of years, at least until Abhira was settled in her career. Armaan didn't regret the decision. Though, he did long for a child. Armaan spent all his free time carrying Aanchal around the house and spoiling her with the world's riches. Abhira, too, would join them on the floor, helping Aanchal with her blocks and teaching her the alphabet.

"Yeh kya hua?" Dadisa asked, looking at her grandson and granddaughter-in-law, blushing crimson.

"Kunwari ladki niche kadhi hui thi." Abhira sheepishly muttered at the speed of an express train.

"Huh?" Confusion replaced their laughter as they turned to Abhira with widened eyes. Armaan face-palmed, anticipating what was coming next.

"Kunwari ladki yaani miss, niche yaani andhar, kadhi hui yaani standing. Miss-under-standing," Abhira enunciated. "Misunderstanding." Abhira waited for the ticking time bomb to go off. Dadisa, used to Abhira's antics, rolled her eyes and scowled.

"Bhabhi, you're too cute!" Rohit hugged Abhira.

Armaan was relieved Abhira's puns changed the topic. His embarrassment would know no bounds if everyone learned his pet-name for Abhira. His younger siblings who looked up to him would laugh if they knew the cool, calm, and collected Armaan called his wife 'betu.'

Then, there was Abhira, who would kill him if it got out. Or worse, she'd destroy his car again.

-----------------------

"Sab ke samne betu kyun bulaya." Abhira pouted as she settled in Armaan's lap later that night. They sat on the rocking chair and stargazed together. It became their special ritual: that and the jar of candy wrappers.

"Maine bulaya toh bulaya. Tumne jawab kyun diya."

"Hawh!" She smacked him lightly for turning the tables on her.

"Acha betu, sorry." Abhira couldn't resist his cuteness and removed his hands from his ears to accept his apology.

It amazed him how easily Abhira let him call her "betu." The name antagonized every perception of fierceness and independence she carried. He didn't realize the significance of his words. How the name felt like her mother's embrace and its underlying affection engulfed her in sukoon. From that first night when he cooked her the Sharma-family special noodles to now, Abhira knew there was no place she'd be happier. She snuggled deep into his neck and he held on to her like his life depended on it.

Sometimes, Abhira felt bad that Armaan had to wait for his child because of her career. She didn't understand that Armaan never felt empty without one, as long as she was here. Because in his eyes, Abhira was his first love and his betu, the human he'd cherish above himself.