Two.

hate.

◇◇◇

Weeks passed; the same routine happened every day. Nothing new or special happened. Klare is still bugging me about the concert that will happen the day after tomorrow. Well, unfortunately for her, it's hard to convince me, especially when it comes to stuff like that.

Things are getting tough academically, especially now that finals is already next week. That's why I got so busy with my studies that I forgot to tell my manager about my concern about my night shift, and I don't think I could ever do it because, to be honest, it wasn't even the customer's fault. It's me who obviously overreacted. So, here I am again at the same time shift.

I released a sigh as I tried to divert my attention on my readings. I have a final exam to be concerned about. That is more important than anything now.

The bell chimed, and I greeted the customer with a smile before going back to reading. I felt my phone vibrate, and I checked who messaged me, only to be disappointed the moment I read it.

I should be used to it by now, but I can't. I just can't get used to this shitty treatment. I chose to ignore the message and turn my phone off, just to be sure that no one would disturb me. I'm already busy as it is, and there are a lot of things occupying my head right now. I can't afford another.

I released a sigh as I waited for the customer to come to the counter before I started studying again. Then he came with a pack of cigarettes in his hands. I looked up to him, and gave me a weird grin that sent shivers down my spine. Fear crept in as I quickly punched his cigarette on the counter and put it on a small plastic bag. I managed to say, "₽150, sir."

He grabbed the plastic bag and looked into my eyes. Seconds later, I found his other hand holding a gun that was now pointed at my head. Fuck.

I couldn't breathe, and my body trembled in fear. Knees were weak, and tears started to flow uncontrollably. How the hell is life so unfair to me? Why am I so unfortunate?

"Try to scream, and you'll be shot," he said with a stern voice. It echoed in my head, and I couldn't think properly. Damn, I can't even move.

"Give me all the money you've got," he commanded.

I tried to do what he wanted me to do, but I can't move my body at all! I froze in my place, silently crying—not even a sound. Just tears flowing. I couldn't even ask for help, afraid that the moment I opened my mouth, death would come my way.

"NOW!" He shouted, making me cry harder from my place.

With my trembling hands and unstable mind, I managed to move and try to open the cash register.

"FASTER!" He shouted again.

My hands reached for the money that he wanted, but before I could even pull them out of the machine, I heard a loud thug and the gun falling beside me.

I looked at the man. I fell to the ground when I saw him lying on the floor, and a stranger who suddenly appeared out of nowhere showed up. The thief is now beneath him; both hands were locked by the stranger.

"I already called the police," said the stranger.

I couldn't say anything; I just sat there with tears still flowing from my eyes. I suddenly felt hazy and dizzy.

--

I woke up inside the hospital again. Manager Lou is the first person I saw the moment I woke up; beside her was Klare, who's crying her eyes out as if I'm a dead body.

"Klare, I'm alive," I said.

She glared at me and smacked me. "I was so worried about you!" She shouted at my face, making me sigh.