Chapter 28: One Door Closes, Is The Other Still Open?

Currently, Shah Rukh was sitting at the dining table of the place he had called home for several years. The Mannat. He sat in his mind thinking of all the years that had passed. All the memories and moments that he had made within this place he called home. A sad smile came to his face as he looked around from where he sat. So many things had changed but also stayed the same. He fiddled with the pen he was holding between his fingers tapping it against the luxurious giant dining table top that has seen its fair share of parties and dinners hosted by Gauri and himself.

The words Karan to him earlier in the day played in his head on repeat like a new song on the radio.

Flashback

Shah Rukh stayed to himself in the vacant office. The walls felt as if they were slowly closing in on him. His heart felt as if it had been pulled from his body. He was much too in shock to cry or even yell. He just stood there to himself blinking in thought. As if his mind had left his physical body he was gone to another dimension. Thinking of his next move.... He knew what he had to do. He just didn't know how to go about doing it successfully.

A knock on the door didn't disturb his train of thought. He ignored it staying to himself, not caring who entered in.

"You look far into outer space." Karan commented as he stared on at the state he found his friend in. Shah Rukh sighed finally acknowledging him and giving him attention.

"It's not as if you care. Just like Kajol you fell in love with Arjun." Shah Rukh was displeased with Karan. As one of his best friends, he felt as if Karan should have had his back out there, but he didn't. He instigated and promoted Arjun's unprofessional behavior. Making a joke out of his strong emotions.

"Maybe just a little." Karan smiled to himself thinking about how damn good-looking Arjun was. The man was hot. Smoking hot. Anyone could fall for that man. Karan felt the reason Shah Rukh hated him so much was of course first because of his eye for Kajol, but also because he acts just like Shah Rukh. Impulsive, daring, and never backing down from a fight.

"All jokes aside, you have been playing games for far too long. If you want to be with Kajol. Do it and do it respectably! Imagine how she feels! She wants to move on with her life. She divorced her husband and moved into a new home. Trying every day to live with the decision you made in Rome. She's ready to turn a new page, but you keep pushing her back to the previous one. You need to figure out what you're going to do and quickly. Or you'll lose her forever." Karan concluded with all seriousness in his tone of voice. He placed his hand on Shah Rukh's shoulder to comfort his friend who had now finally shed at least a single tear.

"Either leave her alone and live your life with Gauri or fight for her to completion and start a new life with her. Either way, you must sacrifice something. Only you can decide what is most important to you." Karan concluded. He was ready for this to all come to a conclusion. No matter the outcome. It was long overdue.

End of Flashback

Shah Rukh sat waiting patiently. His anxiety growing, but he was ready to face the music. Organizing the papers that lay in front of him for the millionth time.

"Love I'm home." Gauri said announcing her entrance into their home. He heard her voice on the intercom speaker that ran throughout the Mannat. Mentally preparing himself for the battle he was pressing into. It was now or never.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kajol had gone through her whole wardrobe twice. She was finding it hard to pick an outfit for the evening she signed up for. Maybe it was a sign that she had been too extremely rash when she told Shah Rukh to move fast or she'd move on.