Chapter 1

1913

I remember that night like it was yesterday. I had just proposed to Mary- Ann Bennett the love of my life. It was about 1 am when we finished planning our engagement party and I headed homeward. It was a blue moon. My favourite day of the year.

The night air was crisp but not cold. I took a short cut through an alley where I saw a man on the road. I thought he had been hit by a car. So as the gentlemen I was I rushed over to him. As I leaned down to check for breathing and a pulse, a cold chill ran down my spine telling me to run.

I listened to that feeling and stood up and started to run,when I was cut short by the man on the road. " Not very gentlemanly of you" He smiled showing fangs and his eyes glowed a viscous dark red before sinking his fangs into my jugular. Hungrily he sucked my life away and his fangs injected the venom that ended up transforming me forever. After about 2 minutes everything went black and that was my last human memory.

3 days later

I woke up in the same dark ally of my attack but I was in the garbage disposal. Luckily I was in the shade or else I would have been toast. Slowly I climbed out. I stood up feeling absolutely fine until it hit me. The thirst. Of course I had no idea it was a thirst for blood I thought I needed water. So I headed to Mary-Ann's for a drink.

I arrived at her house and the thirst was now burning my throat. I pounded on the door. Mary- Ann opened it. "Erin! Where have you been you look ill." She observed. "I need water." I replied hoarsely. "Come in." She signalled.

Inside her kitchen I fetched a glass and some water while Mary -Ann watched carefully. "What?" I asked. The water had calmed the burn. She smiled at me then wrapped her arms around my neck and kissed me with passion.

I returned that kiss and moved my lips down her jaw straight to her neck. Then the sound of her heart pulsing blood through her veins hit me all at once and the thirst was back. My jaw ached as my canine teeth enlarged causing me to rip the fragile skin on her throat. And then it happened.

I bit her. The red liquid tasted so good. I wanted to stop. But I couldn't.

----------------------------------------

That is the reason why I hate and hunt my breed. If I don't protect the humans who will?