// 𝕡𝕒𝕣𝕥 𝕤𝕖𝕧𝕖𝕟𝕥𝕪-𝕥𝕨𝕠 //

hiraeth - part seventy-two

»»——⍟——««

       "Gone?" The word rang over and over in Zamasu's head. Death was such a fickle subject to him. He knew he was fully capable of taking a life, he could do so with ease. It would not dampen his heart, he would move on just as fast as they would move on to the next realm. But he had never thought to murder anyone, he had never made plans of taking someone's life. It had confused him when Y/n had told him he was their top suspect. There was no one Zamasu wanted dead, no one except for all mortals. It wasn't as though Zamasu was just going to go on a rampage killing every mortal in sight though. He wasn't stupid.

But after Y/n's visit, and after Gowasu's words, Zamasu had found himself hesitant on his ideals. Was it only this universe that he despised so? As a planetary Kai, Zamasu often got visits from lost souls wishing to be redeemed for their sins in life. He had always sent them away, saying it wasn't his place to deal with souls. He only remained in the realm of the dead because he was a low tier Kai. He had no place in the realm of the Kais. He had no place in the mortal realm. He felt useless.

When Gowasu had approached him about becoming his heir, Zamasu felt that he might could finally make a change. He could wash the sins of the mortals away, and make the universe a better place. He had grown so tired of seeing so much evil. But that was years ago now. And he still had not made a single change to anything. He was just as useless now as he was back then.

But when he met Y/n, that spark to make a change had been revitalized within him. She was going out of her way to bring justice to not only her own life, but to those she cared about. That was the difference between her and Zamasu. She cared not only for herself, but for those around her. All this time, Zamasu had been alone with these thoughts, nobody to carry out justice for except himself. He thought that wouldn't change though, because he had nobody except his master, of which he was not very close to, nor did they have much time left to bond.

That was what Zamasu had thought, until Gowasu finally spoke his thoughts on the matter. All this time, Gowasu had simply been saying for Zamasu to mind his place, to mind his business. He told Zamasu to stifle those feelings of justice, for there were others out there to carry it out. But when he finally admitted to not being the best Supreme Kai, to not being as loving as Shin, something in Zamasu clicked together. Gowasu was not perfect. But he did his best, in his own form of justice. Ever since then, Zamasu had wondered if perhaps he could create a mortal with his own sense of justice, someone who simply wanted to live in peace, with someone to hold dear.

So to hear that Y/n was gone shattered Zamasu's very being. She was the mortal Zamasu wanted to strive for, to carry out his justice for. He wanted his universe to be filled with brave souls like Y/n, who weren't afraid to fight for the ones they loved, the life they wanted. And she had been taken from this life. She was gone, taking with her the justice they deserved.

"This can't be right..." Zamasu stared at his tea, his reflection staring back at him. Was the person she had been fighting to save from a terrible fate herself? Zamasu grit his teeth, glaring into the cup. Something didn't fit quite right. He was their top suspect, but he hadn't laid a finger on Y/n, as far as he knew. Nothing was making sense anymore. "What happened to her?"

"She was taken by someone very formidable," Whis said. "Someone high up. They possessed a Time Ring. Do you know what that is, Zamasu?"

"N-No. What is it?" He asked in confusion. Whis furrowed his brows, deep in thought. It made sense that Gowasu wouldn't tell Zamasu about them, not after what they had told Gowasu. Gowasu knew everything, down to how they had suspicions of Zamasu being behind everything, in another timeline.