Chapter 1: Destruction and Hope

◀◌◌◜Happy Reading◝◌▶

◀▶◀▶◀▶◀▶◀▶◀▶◀▶◀▶

The atmosphere in the air seemed dead. The wind brought pollution everywhere, there was debris from buildings that had collapsed and destroyed. Humans only surfaced once or twice looking terrified. The smell of burning corpses was terrible, there was no clear blue sky, no vegetation. Everything was gone and destroyed.

Military experts from all over the world gathered to carry out strict guarding. By using sophisticated weapons, the citizens panicked and went to shelters. Yes, that's right, shelters. The world that is on the verge of destruction makes everyone panic, suspected of the emergence of a foreign object in space that can be likened to a very strange spaceship.

It is suspected that this foreign object is an object that houses an alien army that wants to go to war with humans. Therefore, all world leaders began negotiations that took years. They knew that humans against the aliens would take a long time to win, so for a while secretly the world leaders asked the best scientists and weapons experts to get ready if the negotiations were canceled.

By the current condition of the earth, it can be guessed that the negotiations between world leaders and the aliens failed miserably. Rumors are circulating that one of the astronauts brought something from the explored planet that should not be brought and there are also rumors circulating that the earth is their residence and so on. No one knows for sure what happened.

In one of the facilities, there is a special laboratory for researching, weapons for aliens or researching toxic drugs given to humans. There was a famous senior scientist who was a genius named Dr. Ethan Baxter or Dr. Eth.

Dr. Eth looked out the window to see many security forces passing by and several adults always reminded their children about the rules in this shelter. On the other hand, he saw the eyes of children who should be innocent and enjoying the beauty of their childhood being snatched away from them. He hissed in annoyance at the sight before him, 'How barbaric' he grumbled to himself.

KNOCK... KNOCK... KNOCK

"Excuse me, Dr. Ethan, from the development division, would like to leave the report you requested," said a young woman of 20 years old, with formal language.

Dr. Ethan who felt called looked back to see the young woman. He smiled gently at her. "Aww~, Amy... Don't be so polite, I'm your grandfather..." Dr. Ethan cried while hugging his granddaughter.

Amy or rather Amy Baxter, was the only granddaughter of the genius scientist Dr. Ethan. Amy was just like her grandfather who was a genius in fact, she often helped her grandfather complete antibiotic projects, some technology for citizen data, and others. However, Dr. Ethan knows that Amy doesn't want to be like him at all, Amy has dreams of becoming an artist or a diplomat who aims to change the world. It's just that her dreams have been taken away since the war started about seven years ago.

"Grandpa, stay away... It's so embarrassing to be seen by others..." Amy hissed ashamed to be seen by the scientist doctors in the laboratory, but instead of being released she hugged even tighter, it made everyone chuckle amused at the closeness of the two of them. Remembering that Amy's parents died because of this war.

Dr. Ethan immediately took the documents that Amy brought, and suddenly his cheerful smiling face stopped. That made Amy and the other employees feel the tension usually on his face like that was a sign if not good news.

"Tim Gold, can you come with me for a moment to the laboratory" Dr. Eth ordered, with his professional face. Amy, who saw that, felt a bad feeling especially when her grandfather's face changed. She sighed and hoped, 'I hope nothing happens to you, Grandpa...'

◀▶◀▶◀▶◀▶◀▶◀▶◀▶◀▶

BRAK!!! CRACK!!! CRACK!!!

Venting his anger at his desk, after receiving the information and being pressured directly by the world leader, made him tired of it all. His private office, which was lined with soundproof walls, allowed him to do what he wanted. He screamed, laughed, and even cried. His office was a silent witness to how stressed he was with the current situation.

Dr. Ethan should have retired from being a scientist. He was supposed to be enjoying his retirement in a cabin on the outskirts of the village. However, everything changed when the war between humans and aliens caused damage that made him inevitably have to return to work to provide an innovation to solve this war, his son and daughter-in-law who worked in the military had a misfortune that took their lives both of them and left their only daughter.

When he first saw the teenage Amy, there was a look of shock and deep sadness on her face. He only saw Amy who hugged him not wanting to be released and her tears broke out remembering that her parents were no longer with her. They both strengthened each other. In Amy's situation, she had to go to the shelter to research what happened in this war.

It had been about three hours since Dr. Ethan had spent time alone in his room. He looked down at the window of his office. His office was as messy as a broken ship, a dark room with only the full moon for light. Sighing, he picked up the picture frames of himself and his wife, as well as those of his parents Amy and five-year-old Amy.

He left the office to get a drink of water from the kitchen and went to his bedroom. There were a few employees who had the night shift still passing by. Before going to her room to rest she went to see her granddaughter Amy's room. He knew that at this hour, Amy was already asleep.

Jelp! His heart was like being stabbed by a knife multiple times, looking at her granddaughter. He saw that her eyes were puffy like she had just cried and Amy was asleep hugging a picture of her parents. 'Oh, dear, what can I do to erase your sadness...' he began to cry as he couldn't bear to see his granddaughter receiving this kind of pain.

Dr. Ethan went to his room, in his mind still thinking about Amy, the one thing that made him still try to save everyone. She was a precious gem to Dr. Ethan. "If only I could turn back time..." he fantasized.

1 minute

3 minutes

5 minutes

7 minutes

"HOLLY, COW... I CAN BUILD A TIME TRAVEL MACHINE...!!!" exclaimed Dr. Ethan suddenly after contemplating his fantasy.

"But wait a minute... It would be very difficult if... Nope. Nope. Nope. I can make it... Hm... In the lab, I need to find the right formula for this... Hmmm... Last project... Make Amy happy...." he muttered to himself, thinking about what he should do for the future.

Right then and there he didn't rest and his focus turned to the secret project he was going to do in his laboratory. He really wanted to do this thing, which might prevent the war from happening and could bring back everyone's smiles, especially to Amy. He was also focused on the future to create a time-traveling machine. He knew it was impossible, but most innovations always start with the word 'impossible', so for once he proudly vowed to complete this project before he died.

◀▶◀▶◀▶◀▶◀▶◀▶◀▶◀▶

◀◌◌◜To Be Continue◝◌▶