Chapter 2: Departure

The sun had long since set, and the archegetes had departed hours ago, yet the village remains abuzz with noise. I had assumed that the villagers would have little or no interest in the quest, given their knowledge of the dangers beyond the borders. However, I was surprised to see that even some of the elderly and infirm were celebrating, expressing their gratitude that the emperor had not completely forsaken them and had provided a means of reconciliation with His people.

Still, many remained skeptical about the entire quest. It seemed illogical in many ways, especially considering the surrounding harpies that posed a constant threat. How could anyone venture out into the open, vulnerable and defenseless, against these formidable creatures?

"Father, please! Don't do it! Give me back my scroll!" A cry pierced the air, drawing my focus. I glanced in the direction of the commotion and spotted a familiar neighbor holding two scrolls, intending to cast them into a prearranged fire. Chasing behind him was a distressed young boy, evidently the rightful owner of the endangered scroll. Tears streamed down his face, and his gaze fixed helplessly upon the prized possession held firmly within his father's grasp.

"Are you really going to be a fool for that Emperor? Son, how could you believe in such nonsense? If that wretched man tells you to abandon your family, will you obediently obey like a dog? You're too much of a coward to even venture beyond the borders for a simple hunt, and now you want to go on this quest? Are you out of your mind?" The father's voice thundered, oblivious to the onlookers who watched and listened.

The boy hung his head, feeling the weight of humiliation from his father's words. His fist clenched, trembling with a mix of fear and restraint, as he fought the urge to retort. Finally, his hand relaxed, and he raised his gaze to his father with an expression of helplessness.

"Father, you don't understand... I saw something. He's calling out to me. I have to go where He is, or this longing inside me will consume me. I have to go, no matter the cost," he pleaded, desperately trying to hold back his tears.

His father stared at him, a mixture of disbelief and disdain etched across his face. "Unbelievable! This Emperor you're so eager to meet once abandoned us to this desolate land. You witnessed the generations of suffering our people endured, and now, with a few sweet-talking words, you're ready to believe in Him? Do you have any idea what kind of Emperor He is? His commandments are impossible to follow perfectly! Once you stumble, you'll be cast aside, just like our ancestors. And who knows where we'll end up next? Do you truly want to subject yourself to the wrath of an Emperor who detests the slightest hint of disobedience?"

The onlookers, familiar with our race's history, nodded in agreement, their eyes downcast. I, too, found myself in accord with the father's words. Only a fool would risk their life for an Emperor with countless rules and a zero-tolerance policy for mistakes.

The boy hesitated, his voice barely a whisper as he spoke. "That's... Prince Immanuel."

His father scoffed, a mixture of anger and disbelief in his eyes. "What? Don't you dare tell me you're going to do your best to follow him. Spare me the nonsense."

Despite his trembling lips, the boy continued, his words causing his father's brow to furrow with curiosity. "...Prince Immanuel."

It was a mere whisper, but everyone fell silent, and the words echoed through the air.

'Prince Immanuel... The emperor's only son. What does he have to do with anything?'

I wanted to voice my question, but instead, I remained silent, eagerly awaiting the boy's explanation.

"Hah! And why are you bringing up the Crown Prince? What's your point?" The father scoffed, dismissive and unwilling to entertain his son's words.

"Prince Immanuel has already paid the price. He bore the consequences of our rebellion against Emperor Agathos. We don't need to do anything to stand before His Majesty, Father! Prince Immanuel has already done it all for us," the boy responded with conviction, his gaze sweeping across the attentive audience.