A New Moon 1

Jack

September 24, 2018

Pushing my hair behind my ear, Daniel looks into my eyes. His honey-filled eyes reflect the golden hour sun. "I want you in my bed," he whispers ever so softly, maintaining eye contact. I giggle as, in one swift movement, he sweeps me up, and pulls me into him. He kisses me, and we fall back onto the bed, tangled together. We kiss and kiss and kiss. His lips, his touch, his smell, the wild look in his eyes are all intoxicating. I feel like here, in this little bubble, everything is sweet and beautiful, even with all the danger and fear.

"Jack, wake up!" Hannah annoyingly demands. "If you want a ride to school, you better get up. I mean it," she continues.

Massaging my temples, I release a groan tossing my head further into the sheets.

"Okay, Hannah, just get out." With sharp eyes, Hannah pierced holes into my skin; as her lips tightened with a flip of her hair, she slammed the door behind her.

Climbing out of bed, I open my curtains, setting the tone for my morning ritual. This fall morning, the air was crisp as a thin layer of fog covered my little city. The trees were bare, a few stubborn ones that refused to let their golden brown leaves meet the ground—enjoying the brief moment, I grabbed my phone off of the charger. "Skate park after school?" is the first notification on my screen. My heart flutters at the idea of Daniel thinking about me this early in the morning.

I met Daniel Lee or Danny last summer at a rave on the beach. He accidentally spilled vodka on me, and we've been friends ever since. Daniel, with little effort, contained the power to have me melt like chocolate in a baby's hand. Handsome without knowing it, dark silky jet black hair, with full lips. He was completely attractive without trying. However, friends don't look at friends the way I look at Daniel. Sending a quick reply, I toss my phone on the bed, moving on with my morning ritual.

"Seriously, that's what you're wearing? I mean, for once, Jacqueline, can you not do the whole tortured artist I'm a badass theme?" Hannah asks, frustration drawing her filled eyebrows together. "I mean, seriously, would it kill you to wear some heels... a little pump even?"

"Hannah, it's the first day of school," mom smiles as she kisses me on the forehead. "Stop antagonizing your sister for her clothes. You look adorable, honey," mom continues with a slight caress of my cheek.

Dear Hannah, is my older sister, strawberry blond from root to tip with soulful blue eyes as bright as any glacier, and I have never been anywhere as cold as her. Hannah and I are sisters by chance but enemies by choice. I long for a relationship where Hannah is an angel that makes my heart glow like stars in the deep of the night. Our relationship is more profound than a sibling rivalry, for it is nonexistent.

I don't understand Hannah's issue with my outfit. My high-waisted ripped jeans gave me a slight butt lift. A very tight-fitting white t-shirt, knee-high black leather boots, and my leather jacket to match. My dark brown hair is tied into a high curly pony falling down my lower back. Silver hoops dangle from my ears, and I complete my look with winged eyeliner, mascara, and a fresh French tip manicure.

Most sixteen-year-old girls are into wearing Versace sandals with Coach purses. However, I never felt pretty enough to wear Barbie pink with my dark features. "No, Jack, your eyes are too dark for this. This doesn't match your skin tone. Why is your hair so brown?" Since the beginning of time, Hannah has exploited every difference between us, making me feel less superior to her honey hair and milky skin.

"Hannah, I get you just straightened your precious blonde hair but, seriously, don't make me kick your ass," I smirk with a swing of my pony.

"Precision of language," calls mother from the kitchen, "ladies, this back and forth attacking each other needs to stop." She pauses as she enters the living room. "Listen, I know things are weird now, but the divorce will be final soon. Therefore, girls, this is an opportunity to have a fresh start." A small smile forms across her lips. Hannah folds her arms, narrowing her eyes at me.