Prologue

Carmen had already been a million places in the world. India, Germany, Colombia, Russia. She'd visited mighty cities with towers that touched the sky and small towns where there was one inn and one store in the whole place. She'd seen mountains and fields in the countryside where the residents lived miles away from their closest neighbors. And she had seen everything in between, too. But, even with her overflowing bag of trinkets She'd collected from her travels, she wanted to see more. She planned to see France within the next year, and she still had yet to visit any of the African countries. Her whole being bubbled with excitement and anticipation at the idea of the adventures she had yet to go on. She concluded that she was just going to have to get another bag to keep the souvenirs from her future trips.

But, before Carmen goes to all those other places, there were a few that she still needed to stop by for a few days. The next on her list was a city in Europe. This particular city was known for its array of famous restaurants. She was excited to try the food there. She also figured that since she expected to be spending so much of her budget on trying as many cuisines as possible, she would have to find a cheap place to stay in. So far, everything on her journey was going to plan.

¤•¤•¤•¤•¤•¤

The boat ride there was surprisingly relaxing considering the boats condition. It was old and rusty, but it rode so smoothly across the calm waters. It was early summer, June, to be precise, and the warm sun kissed her skin, which showed where the short sleeves of her sun dress ended. A breeze worked to cool her down as it brushed through her hair. Half of her brown wavy hair was put up in a bun while the rest of it hung to her collar bone. Her brown eyes hid behind her eyelids as she took in the feeling of the boat rocking and the smell of the salty air.

After about an hour or so of leaning on the boats railing, they finally reached the harbor in the late afternoon. Carmen smiled at the sight of the shops and buildings that littered the shore. She swung one bag onto her back and picked up the other in one hand along with her suitcase as the ship pulled up to the dock. A young man helped her off of the boat, and once her shoes clicked onto the wooden surface, she swayed for a moment. Being on that boat for so long made her a tad bit dizzy.

After recovering from her daze, Carmen adjusted her luggage in her arms and made her way toward the cobblestone path that led into town. The short heels of her light brown shoes clicked and clacked on the stone. Each step of hers was peppy and quick. Her peachy-pink lips held a smile that seemed to grow a little bit when she made eye contact with a stranger.

Like every other place she visited, she decided to take a walk through the city to get a feel of it. On her little walk through town, she met a man who offered her a map of all of the restaurants in town. She was very glad for it and handed him a couple of sovereigns for the map.

By the time Carmen was finished with her little walk, it was evening, so she decided she would find a place to have dinner before finding a place to stay while she was here. She pulled out the map she had bought earlier to choose where she wanted to go first. Ultimately, she decided on Greek, her favorite cuisine.

¤•¤•¤•¤•¤•¤

After a much needed, delicious warm meal, Carmen paid her server for the meal, gathered her things, and stepped out into the streets of the city once again. The sun had begun to set, and the air grew a little chilly. Carmen set down her things and reached into one of her bags to pull out a light jacket the color of the night sky to slip it on over her knee-length, pink, and white floral sundress

After she had once again gathered her things in her arms, she decided it was time to find a place to stay. So, there she was again, roaming the streets. Her eyes lit up a bit when she saw a sign hanging above the door of a fancy building that said, "hotel". She went to get a closer look, and her face dropped when she discovered that it was far too expensive for her. Back to the search.