Side A. Part 2

Dazai is a strange guy in every possible way.

His eyes remind me of a burnt black cat, his build reminds me of a burnt black cat, his presence reminds me of a burnt black cat. He has a tone that sinks into the abyss of the spirit, and deep, dark eyes that seem to hold the conviction that the sun will never rise again. He is a man of few words. And his voice has the sound of severance that rejects mutual understanding from the very beginning. No one could understand him. No one ever will. And he himself knows that very well. That kind of voice.

It seems true that he wants to die. It seems that all the value standards of living reflected in his eyes are just as worthless and ugly as scrap iron. I don't understand why. Perhaps the day when I understand will never come. He seems to know that too.

That is why he wants to go outside. The only way to quickly end the pain of his wounds and achieve his desired "big sleep" is to leave my house. However, he is even cut off from death, because I prevent him from escaping.

And that is when Dazai decides to complain about my existence to the very end. He actually has a lot of complaints, about meals, sleep, and other pastimes. One after another, he will find faults in my nursing, criticize, and roast me in the most disparaging way possible. There is nothing that can escape his criticism. He is simply a tyrant. I could have whimpered like a nine-year-old girl.

However, I am actually fine. Because I know that Dazai's criticism is nothing more than an act he put on to serve his purpose. To discourage me. To depress me through and through, until I'm sick of him and kick him out of my door like I don't care anymore. That will be his victory. So, I am fine, no matter what I am told. In reality, he must have been very impressed with my proper and adequate nursing.

For example, it goes like this.

"Hey you! The porridge is hot. I can't eat it like this!"

"Hey, it's really too hot. You know I can't use my hands because I'm tied up right?? No no, I told you. Stop forcing it into my mouth... It's hot! It's hottttt!"

"I'm eating, I'm eating! Don't bring another one! Arghhh! Wait... can't move.... Gyaaahhh!! It's in my eye! It hurts! It's hot!! It hurts!!!!!"

"Come on. The toilet is limited to twice a day? Do something about that, won't you? Even Port Mafia's prisoners have a little more freedom."

"Hey, I told you to deal with the boredom, but reading books to me? It's not something you do with someone this age, you know? And it's all the same book. And it doesn't have the last few pages so I don't even know the ending! Is this torture? A new type of torture?"

Very realistic acting.

I ignore him and just continue with my nursing.

My dedication pays off. After a few days, the young man's eyes are all dead and exhausted. He speaks in a faint voice.

"I can't... get through to him. This guy... He is a natural airhead."

I don't really understand what he means by it, but after that, Dazai has become more obedient to what I say.

From then on, Dazai changes his strategy. Instead of complaining about the daily nursing, he starts to make very specific demands about food, especially the ingredients. I suppose he wants me to give up. But I am a man of patience and consistency. And I am also a practical person who believes that someone whose hands are wrapped around like that needs a proper distraction. I then become an amiable cook.

His first request is for pufferfish's organ sashimi. That is a rare ingredient. I go to the fish market to look for it, but the owner there tells me, "Are you stupid or what?" so I give up. Next is grilled amanita virosa. It is a kind of mushroom. The white and beautiful one I heard. This time, I also walk around the mountain to search but I can't find any. Since the locals never eat this type of mushroom, I thought there should be quite some left in the mountain. What a pity. When I end up serving him the stir-fried dish made from the wild vegetables I happen to find on the way back from my search, Dazai looks at me with grudgeful eyes as if he is going to kill me, while saying "It's delicious."