𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟎𝟏.

Severus Snape was no longer accustomed to running from danger. He was a war hero, a former head of Hogwarts, and now the major shareholder of an international apothecary conglomerate. And yet, tonight, when he saw what he faced, he'd turned on his heel and beat a hasty retreat.

He could hear the noise of his pursuers as he moved noiselessly through the hotel. Thank goodness for his habit of constant vigilance. He ducked into an alcove and cast a quick disillusionment charm. He sighed in relief as the mob that had been pursuing him passed by.

"I saw that."

He turned, fearing the worst...

"Hermione."

She raised an eyebrow at him and laughed.

"Did the man who dared to spy on Lord Voldemort actually just run from a gaggle of rabid fan girls?"

"The Dark Lord would be preferable."

Granger had the decency to laugh. Enough years had passed to joke about the war...at least among those who fought in it.

"Oh yeah, signing autographs is a fate worse than an unspeakable curse...Poor things, I think they all had copies of that cover story that hack at Witch Weekly put together."

Severus sighed loudly. "Autographs were hardly what those females had in mind. I have to carry a hip flask like Moody. I don't have to worry about Dark Wizards anymore; it's the damn love potions..."

The cheeky girl bit back a laugh.

He looked around and removed the spell.

"Congratulations on being invited as the keynote speaker."

Hermione blushed with pleasure.

"Thank you."

Ah...simple thanks. No giggling, no false modesty...

This was a woman who had accomplished a major magical feat, and she was proud of it...and rightly so.

He offered her his arm. She hesitated for an instant but took it gratefully.

"I must warn you, walking in tandem with me might be a bit... "

He smirked. "Dangerous?" Did she have her own mob to run from?

She nodded without a hint of humor.

"I've been getting a lot more hate mail than usual since I published my work...and...well...."

Snape wrinkled his nose in disgust. "And Golden Trio Groupies?"

She gave him a half-grin. "Are they still called groupies if they're men...well mostly men?"

Severus shook his head. "I have no idea my dear. Surely your famous wit can discourage those who press their advantage...?"

She cast a periscope charm as they neared the corner, to check for hidden fans. "If that worked I imagine that a few well-placed words would discourage your fan base." She gave him a look that reminded him that she remembered his biting wit, even if some others were trying to forget. "Unfortunately, I have one...admirer in particular who has made a bit of a pest of himself lately...keeps sending me freshly butchered hearts...Harry's gone mad about the whole thing. I'm surprised that anyone can sneeze with all the added security at this conference." She sighed sadly as she peeked into the dining room. She was scheduled to speak in half an hour. "It's rather annoying."

Snape kept her hand on his arm when she would have disengaged. "Allow me to escort you to your table. It will not, of course, deter the most ardent of our 'fans' but it might make some of them less bold."