1

I was allowed to return to school on one condition: I stay focused on my studies and reclaim my spot as valedictorian.

Easier said than done. Especially when you died the precious year and had to cram the last three months of school into your two month break so you wouldn't have to repeat the year.

It was a bit shocking, though, that out of the 143 students in my year, I had only dropped down to being number 9. It was a sad thing to find out, but also a great thing since I hadn't seen pummeled to the bottom.

Currently "in my place" (as my parents put it) was Cameron Carson. I hadn't seen him yet, (something I am extremely grateful for) but if my name is being mentioned, it's most likely that his is too.

"Ugh," my best friend, Penelope, scoffed from beside me. "I swear to God. If I see one more stank eye directed at you from Elowen, Im going to rearrange her facial features." Penelope's arm, interlocked with mine, pulled me closer to her side as she shot a glare in the redhead's direction.

"Leave her alone." I didn't bother looking past Penelope. I was already accustomed to the stares I received — even if it was only the second day back.

Penelope gave me an incredulous look, but listened anyway.

The walk from our dorms to the library used to feel much shorter than this. I don't know if it's because I'm out of shape, or other peoples opinions were finally catching up to me. To ensure I get a good nights rest, we will go with the former.

Despite it being August, the trees had already begun to turn different shades of orange and brown and a breeze had even picked up. I pulled my cardigan tighter as we made our way down the path toward the library.

Penelope remained quiet, but I could sense her eyes hovering on each person we passed. Few people actually looked at me. Many students believed I made a deal with the Devil and had accumulated a series of newfound skills that would help me succeed. Others thought I did it for attention. You know, hold myself under the water until I passed out or something. No one actually told me their theories to my face, but I had heard a good few in passing.

To tell you the truth, I don't remember the night. I barely remember the day leading up to it. I remember the day before, who I had talked to and who I had argued with and how I skipped my last class of the day to wallow in self pity, but the next thing I remember is waking up in the hospital bed four weeks later.

I tried not to think about it a lot. I had never liked bodies of water in the first place, but now I definitely didn't. Penelope didn't understand how I didn't want to take certain paths just so I would have to see the lake in the distance. She didn't understand how my body freezes up and my hands become clammy or how I can't tear my eyes away.

And the saddest part is that it is a beautiful part of campus. Penelope loved painting the lake and the clear sky above. I just liked sitting next to her, studying or reading.

"Marles?" Penelope called my name, pulling my attention to the door in front of me. The giant, wooden door to the library that was mere inches from my face. "You okay?"

I only gave a nod of my head before pulling the door open for the both of us to walk through.

The library looked like any other. Three floors filled with bookshelves made from the same dark wood as the door. If I didn't know any better, I would say the library rivaled that of Alexandria's. It's a silly thought, but we did have a number of books that you wouldn't even think existed. I couldn't even give an example, it's so obscure.

Penelope and I found ourselves in our usual corner. An alcove in the far back, blocked off from the naked eye by the large bookshelves. The lighting wasn't great, but it was good enough to get our work done.