Magar Iss Baar, Tum Hi Aana

One Week Later

The Morning of Mariyam's Ruksati

Meerab sat in the car, a ball of nervous energy even though her body ached in more placed than she could count, hear head was dizzy and she felt nauseous

Meerab sat in the car, a ball of nervous energy even though her body ached in more placed than she could count, hear head was dizzy and she felt nauseous. Anila's hand came to rest atop hers and Meerab gave her Mama a small, reassuring smile. They had all driven to Hyderabad a little while ago. Her Baba was inside, fighting her case, and he'd wanted Meerab and Anila to come with him. Meerab had agreed because her heart had given a little flutter at seeing her husband again, and also because if everything went well, this is where she was meant to be anyway.

Baba had been gone for about fourty-five minutes and Meerab's anxiety had grown ever since she watched the majestic iron gates to the haveli swing open. It was now at breaking point. What was going on inside?

A Few Moments Later

"Mai ab yahan kabhi nahi aau ga aur na hi kabhi Meerab ko aanay doon ga!"

Waqas's voice thundered around the room and all heads snapped up as everyone's eyes widened. Murtasim felt the shock and momentary panic wear off quickly as anger mounted. The revelations of the last hour mixed in with his own heartache and sleepless night his entire body stiffening in protest.

He had listened in silence as Waqas Chacha had presented his case, but then Meerab being innocent of conspiring against them was never something Murtasim's brain had accepted or believed. Finding that out hadn't come with the seismic waves everyone else seemed to be experiencing. No, Murtasim was gob smacked at just how deeply Malik Zubair had managed infiltrate into his home and privacy. His jaani dushman had sneaked into his home under the cover of the night and had clandestine meetings with his sister. His sister had shown him photos of his wife, and the bastard had grabbed the opportunity to terrorise and kidnap Meerab. His wife had met with this man, had been in his wretched company like a lamb in a jackal's den; unaware and unprotected.

Murtasim had still been processing these bombshells when Waqas Chacha announced his decree, freezing him.

He hadn't looked at his mother once during the whole time Waqas Chacha had dropped bomb after bomb, but his resentment towards her was nothing compared to the anger he felt now. How could they keep Meerab away from him? How could they dare? It was an instinctive reaction, Murtasim knew. He hadn't forgotten that he, himself had taken her hand and led her out of this very house. But love wasn't always rational or logical. It made you want the unattainable. It made you long for someone despite your collective mistakes and had you thinking that person was yours and yours alone.

His face taut and his eyes flashing with fire, Murtasim couldn't interject as Waqas spoke again.

"Meerab bahar hai aur hum uski cheezein lenay aayein hain."

Maa Begum looked at Waqas in panic. Murtasim stood frozen on the spot. Fourteen Days. Three hundred and thirty-six hours. Twenty thousand, one hundred and sixty agonising minutes. That was how long he hadn't laid eyes on his wife's precious face. And now she was here, so close to him. It was the longest they had been apart and Murtasim had felt like he'd been slowly bleeding out the entire time; his body losing its vigour, his eyes losing their light and a gaping hole where his heart had previously been. And now that same body sang with life, his eyes instinctively going to the huge windows in the drawing room; seeking her out.