Chapter 3: The tales, that need to be heard

At the break of dawn, I woke up and trained tirelessly until sunset.

Following a hearty lunch with my fellow guards, I was summoned by the superior guard, Lord Fu-Hang.

In my childhood, I had heard numerous legendary tales about him-how he defeated a dragon lord to rescue her highness, losing his vision in the process. There were also tales of him single-handedly facing Southern soldiers as a one-man army. As I was escorted towards his chamber, the question that lingered in my mind was, "What could be the reason for my summons?" I pondered the mysteries that awaited me in his presence.

——————————————————

Alone, I entered his chamber, following the guards' instruction that Lord Fu-Hang wished to meet with me privately. The air was thick with anticipation as I stepped into the presence of a living legend.

A figure in full armor stood before me, facing away. "Greetings, young man. Don't stand there; come, have a seat," he commanded. Following his order, I bowed respectfully and greeted him, "Greetings, my lord. I am Kai Li Fang, at your service."

"No need for a formal introduction, young lad. I know exactly who you are and why you came here. Your true intentions," he said, accompanied by a bone-chilling chuckle. Bewildered by his words, I questioned myself about what he meant by my true intentions.

"My lord, I don't understand your statement about me having ill intentions," I replied respectfully.

"Hahaha... I've heard that a snake will bite its own tail to hide its true intentions, but this is the first time I'm witnessing it with my own eyes," he said, his deep and sly voice sending a shiver down my spine.

"My lord... I did not understand?" I asked, my voice filled with confusion.

"Did I scare you, young lad? Hahaha. I meant your dedication to serving her highness, despite having to wear a blindfold for eternity.

That is quite impressive," he said, giving me a soft smile. It felt as if I were conversing with an entirely different person. I couldn't help but ponder the complexity of Lord Fu-Hang's character.

"Oh, my lord. Yes, I'm dedicated to serving her highness and am actually looking forward to it.

Since childhood, you were my role model, not to mention you are every children's role model. We all look up to you to become as brave as you,

" I spoke, unintentionally letting my admiration flow as if I were talking to a friend. Realizing my lapse, I immediately apologized, "My apologies, my lord."

"You flatter me. Why are you apologizing?" he questioned, his tone carrying a mix of amusement and humility.

"Ahaha," I bowed down again, "I apologize, my lord. I didn't mean to upset you."

He let out a loud chuckle. "What are you? A woman confessing her love? Why are you apologizing again and again...hahaha. Young lad, you are amusing," Lord Fu-Hang said, still laughing.

I buried my head in embarrassment. "Oh, my lord, why am I acting like this?" I asked myself, still embarrassed by my actions. "Raise your head, son," Lord Fu-Hang commanded.

"You are going to serve her highness acting like this!?" he questioned me. Gathering my courage, I raised my head and replied, "I... I will not disappoint you, my lord. You or anyone!! I won't let anyone down," I said with a spark in my eyes.

"The spark, that spark in your eyes speaks for itself. That those eyes will not disappoint anyone. Hmm, I like that.

Your courage and dedication. I know I can count on you, young lad. Serve and protect her highness under my instructions. I've known her since her birth; her highness is not less than a daughter to me," he replied with pride.

"Spark? My lord... You don't have vision!?" I apologized again for my question. "Forgive me, my lord. I didn't mean to be rude. Pardon my question." I bowed once more, seeking forgiveness.

He let out a soft chuckle, "Indeed, I lost my vision. But to see someone's spark, I don't need vision. My heart is enough to bestow judgment upon someone's personality," he replied. "And yes, no matter how someone is good at hiding, their heart gives it away.

For you, I know that there is something you won't tell anyone, but your heart has given it up the moment you entered this chamber," he grinned. "I trust you. Don't disappoint me."

Amazed by his insights, I replied, "I will not disappoint you, my lord."

"Now, the guards waiting for you outside will escort you to the south tower where her highness resides. Go, son. From today onwards, a new life awaits you," Lord Fu-Hang declared, his belief in me echoing in his words. Moved by his trust, I started my new journey.

"Finally... I will unravel the truth," I thought to myself as I stepped out of Lord Fu-Hang's chamber, a sense of determination burning within me. Curiosity mingled with anticipation as I wondered about the challenges and revelations that awaited me in the south tower.