Chapter Six

Beeeppppppp

Max Verstappen laid on his horn, letting out a string of expletives, and once again checked the time.

He had been surprised when Lando had texted him, asking if he would pick him up from the Nice airport, but he had the afternoon free for once and had readily agreed, excited to get out of his flat and see his friend. What he hadn't counted on was all the traffic on the way; it seemed the tourists arrived earlier and earlier each year for the holiday season.

As he weaved in and out of traffic he sent a voice text to Lando, letting him know he was a few minutes behind. He got a response almost immediately- "no worries, mate." At least his friend was chill, because Max was about to lose his ever-loving mind.

Twenty minutes later Max finally made it to the pickup area. He quickly helped Lando with his luggage and the two were soon back in the car, on their way home to Monaco. After some brief small talk & catching up, Lando decided to bring up the topic of Mackenzie's mysterious brother.

"This may be a bit of a strange question, but do you know many other Dutch people here in Monaco?"

Max looked at him as if he were crazy. "Just a few, why? Are you looking to learn more about your mother's culture or something?"

Lando laughed. "No, no, nothing like that. It has more to do with my new assistant. As it turns out, she was adopted years ago and only just found out. She received a super vague letter from her birth mom, who basically told her to find her brother if she wanted answers. All the letter said was that he was Dutch and lives in Monaco. The whole situation is very weird, but I can't get it out of my head and I figured if anyone knew where to start it would be you."

Max was intrigued. "Very weird, indeed. I can definitely give you the name of some Dutch establishments to check out, but I could probably be of more help if I had more details. Are you sure that's everything the letter said?"

"I don't know, but I'll check with her & find out for sure." He frowned. "After she told me about it on her first night in town, it's like she has completely forgotten about it. She never brings it up and seems quite content to not think about it."

"Maybe she's just trying to block it out. After all, it sounds like she's been through quite a bit the past couple of months."

"You're probably right, but it's just so strange."

"Maybe." Max shrugged. "I'm just happy you finally hired someone, mate. You were killing yourself between F1 and all your different business ventures."

"No argument there, that's for sure! She may be a pain in my arse, but she's a hard worker and amazing at what she does."

Max smirked. "A pain, huh? But I thought you got along with everyone. I really have to meet this girl now! You should bring her with you tonight."

"Tonight? What are you talking about, mate?"

"You don't remember? Kygo is in town playing a gig at Jimmy'z and invited us? You said you would be there."

Lando groaned. "Of course, how could I forget! I will be there, I'll just be in a bit of a rush to get ready. I don't know about Mackenzie, though. She's not really the clubbing type."

As he said this, Max turned and pulled the car into the garage of Lando's apartment building. He popped the trunk and once again helped him with his bags.

"You're a convincing guy. Just make it happen. And hey, if she can bring the letter I'll do my best to help her."

Lando sighed. "Alright mate, see you tonight."

Max rolled down his window and hollered "See you tonight," as he peeled out of the parking lot, racing to get home and get ready himself.

As Lando entered the elevator, pressing the button for his floor, he couldn't help but think that he was getting himself into trouble. One thing was for sure: Mackenzie was going to kill him.