Part 2: Allies

○~~◇~☆~◇~~○

Beep Beep Beep

RAMON HAD SMASHED HIS ALARM CLOCK ON THE BESIDE TABLE WITH HIS FIST. Annoyed at whomever set it and promising retribution on that person. Going back to sleep.

The sound of his bedroom door hitting the floor a minute later, and his little brother, Devin, apologizing, as picked it up trying to put it back on its broken hinges had him cursing.

"Dad is going to kill you. That makes three." Ramon replied sleepily, putting the pillow back over his head. "Now what do you want?"

"Dad wants you downstairs." Devin told him upset about the door, and there being no quick way to fix it like last time, as Ramon lifted his head.

"For what?"

Devon shrugged his shoulders at his brother. He was just doing what he was told. Being the smallest of his three brothers. He didn't know why he was always deemed the messenger boy. Nobody ever listened to him.

In the kitchen, their father Eugene Churchhill could hear the commotion from where he sat at the table with Victoria, a neighbor and friend, eating breakfast. They shared a look.

Eugene was a proud father, ent, and leader of his people. The most thing Eugene was proud of were his sons. He could see any one of them taking his place someday.

Kanon, the oldest had the intelligence to guide him. And Billion, the strength. Ramon, was harder to measure, rebellious by nature but given the right encouragement he could go far, and then there was his youngest, Devon, who was still full of surprises yet.

Good thing choosing a successor wasn't on the agenda today. Pouring himself some coffee forgetting the matter altogether. It always did give him a headache.

Receiving the call from Charles in the middle of the night was unexpected. But he owed the man. Charles was the reason they could live amongst the humans in town but separate from them.

"I'll be there in 2 days time. Im bringing someone with me. She needs a place to stay. Somewhere safe. Please Eugene you have to help me. She knows nothing. I'll tell you more when I get there."

Eugene didn't mind taking in strays. It might be just the thing his boys needed. To take care of something.

Victoria watched Eugene with fondness. Found the boys amusing. Not having mothered any of her own. She found herself most days here at the head house, being the house maiden. Helping out, giving advice. Their mother sadly, the clans Dona died when Devin was just a baby.

She saw Eugenes sons as her own, and Eugene as her family, though it wasn't her place to say such things. Or think them. Pouring the still fretting man more coffee. Before getting up to clean the dishes, dispelling her wishful thoughts with dishwater and bubbles.

Minutes later, Devin walks into the kitchen.

"What is that?" she asked.

"A door." Devin replied.

"What are you doing with it?"

"I barely knocked." Devin explained exasperated, carrying the solid oak door under one arm as if it weighed nothing.

Victoria knew at 10 years of age, Devin, was merely coming into his powers as a growing ent. And no one could truly blame him for not yet knowing what he was capable of. It was truly a celebratory time. Even at the expense of broken doors and mostly damaged furniture in the household. This, their father, Eugene knew even as he shared a look with Victoria and grunted at the table.

"Did you wake your brothers?" He finally asked his son, while choosing to ignore the another-broken-door-fiasco. At least for now she gathered. Which Victoria admired him for.

"I tried. Billy's not in his room. And Ramon just ignored me."

"Go take it outside." She said opening the door for him. While watching Eugene shake his head. Victoria could only smile.