Chapter 4 - Diagon Alley

By the morning, Clara and Hagrid got on a train, and sat across from each other. The train was pretty much empty, and there was only one woman a few seats away from them, who was reading a newspaper.

 "Still got yer letter, Clara?" he asked. Clara nodded as she took the parchment envelope out of her pocket. "Good," Hagrid said, "There's a list there of everything yeh need."

Clara unfolded a second piece of paper she hadn't noticed the night before, and read:

HOGWARTS SCHOOL of WITCHCRAFT and WIZARDRY 

UNIFORM 

First-year students will require:

1. Three sets of plain work robes (black) 

2. One plain pointed hat (black) for day wear 

3. One pair of protective gloves (dragon hide or similar) 

4. One winter cloak (black, silver fastenings) 

Please note that all pupils' clothes should carry name tags 

COURSE BOOKS 

All students should have a copy of each of the following:

- The Standard Book of Spells (Grade 1) by Miranda Goshawk 

- A History of Magic by Bathilda Bagshot 

- Magical Theory by Adalbert Waffling 

- A Beginners' Guide to Transfiguration by Emetic Switch 

- One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi by Phyllida Spore 

- Magical Drafts and Potions by Arsenius Jigger 

- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by Newt Scamander 

- The Dark Forces: A Guide to Self-Protection by Quentin Trimble 

OTHER EQUIPMENT 

- Wand cauldron (pewter, standard size 2) 

- Set glass or crystal phials 

- Telescope set brass scales 

Students may also bring an owl or a cat or a toad

PARENTS ARE REMINDED THAT FIRST YEARS ARE NOT ALLOWED THEIR OWN BROOMSTICKS

Clara frowned and read out loud, "'One pair of dragon hide gloves'?" She tilted her head and looked at Hagrid, "Do they mean from a real dragon?"

"They don't mean a penguin, do they?" Hagrid asked and chuckled, "Crikey. I'd love a dragon."

"You'd like a dragon?" Clara asked.

"Vastly misunderstood beasts," Hagrid answered, "Vastly misunderstood." The woman looked up from her newspaper, and looked at them strangely. Hagrid smiled at her and she went back to reading her newspaper.

The train had stopped not long after and they all got out, and headed down the streets of London. Clara continued to read from the list, "Students may also bring an owl or a cat or a toad--" Clara looked up at Hagrid, "Can we find all this in London?"

"If you know where to go," he replied and led her over to a door. "This is it. The Leaky Cauldron. It's a famous place." It was a tiny, grubby-looking pub. If Hagrid hadn't pointed it out, Clara wouldn't have noticed it was there. The people hurrying by didn't glance at it. Their eyes slid from the big book shop on one side to the record shop on the other as if they couldn't see the Leaky Cauldron at all. In fact, Clara had a feeling that only she and Hagrid could see it. Before she could mention this, Hagrid had led her inside.