ྀ 3 : ᴀɴʏᴍᴏʀᴇ

𝒘𝒂𝒓𝒏𝒊𝒏𝒈𝒔 ⇾ 𝒏𝒐𝒏𝒆

≻ 𝒘𝒐𝒓𝒅 𝒄𝒐𝒖𝒏𝒕⇾4,555

ϟ

ϟ

ϟ

┌─⸉꒷꒦⸊─────────────┐
𝒑𝒐𝒊𝒏𝒕 𝒐𝒇 𝒗𝒊𝒆𝒘
𝒄𝒉𝒂𝒊𝒔𝒂𝒊
└─────────────⸉꒷꒦⸊─┘

The glow of the television illuminated my surroundings as I opened up the takeout container and took my first bite of my breakfast. Soonja was still fast asleep in the bedroom separated from mine by our small shared bathroom, so I kept the volume low.

It was nearing five in the morning but my stomach had become accustomed to being full this early for awhile now, when Soonja had yet to open the café and my shift didn't start for a few hours. This was the normal daily routine, however, so it no longer was odd to Soonja that I ate breakfast between four and five in the morning alone- nor did it seem odd to her that I ate dinner between nine and ten in the evening by myself.

This was my happy place. Alone in my comfiest clothes, eating my favorite takeout food in silence with the company of fictional characters on the TV set.

However, I will admit that I was still growing accustomed to this room being considered my bedroom, hence the lack of decoration or personal touch to anything dwelling inside it. The walls were a dull beige, the door had a broken lock, and the mattress in the far corner was here when I arrived. Though I had approved the sheet and comforter laid over it that Soonja had picked out, I didn't feel any particular attachment to it or anything else in the room. I suppose I had some trouble believing this was my permanent residence so I had grown used to settling for temporary fixes. The most exciting thing in this room was the TV set, which was outdated, but I didn't care. Soonja didn't use it much except for an occasional weather or news update when her phone wasn't accessible.

Letting my brown eyes trace over my surroundings, I briefly wondered what a twenty-year-old woman's bedroom was supposed to look like. I can't imagine it appearing anything like this, with no decor or closet. Either way, it didn't matter. I liked my situation better here in this tiny room without a closet or a ceiling fan than the ones in my past.

Returning my attention to the Thai TV program, I chuckled at the main character's humorous line directed to her roommate. Regularly watching a television program from my homeland kept me from becoming too homesick. If I were to miss anything from Thailand, it was simply the food, the language and the sights. My new environment in South Korea was much safer for me, leaving me to not miss much more than those three things- Three things of which I could enjoy on specific channels every morning and night.

My ears easily picked up the very distant sound of Soonja rising from her bed and switching on her bedroom light. This typically was my way of knowing I had about an hour and a half to get ready for my shift in the café.

With the comforting sound of the familiar TV characters bantering in Thai acting as my white noise, I began disposing of my takeout containers in my trash can in the room. I took my time neatly tucking the sheet and comforter over the mattress I slept on, and lining up my three pairs of shoes along the wall. A small dresser stood in the corner that held three of my tops, two pairs of my pants, two pairs of underwear and one bra. My other two shirts, two pairs of pants and one other pair of undergarments were in the laundry room, surely all warm and clean by now sitting in the dryer.

"You don't think I'll move out? Watch me! I am moving, and in two seconds, I will be out!" One of the side characters shouted in my mother tongue on the TV as she rushed toward a door, causing me to pause in changing my clothes to chuckle at the comedic scene displayed on the screen.