Chapter 3

In California, after the welcoming presentation from the American Tankery League President and meeting the officials, Kay, Darjeeling, Maho, Miho, and Katyusha were enjoying piggyback rides from Nonna.

"I wonder why Houston left in a hurry?" Kay asked.

"Well, it must be important since a stack of papers was handed to him during the welcome ceremony," Miho said.

"Well, whatever it is, it made him mad and shocked," Darjeeling said, maintaining her calm appearance.

"Hm, it's probably something that Red did," Katyusha said.

"I highly doubt that Red would do anything like that," Kay said.

As the girls continued walking, Maho, who hadn't said anything, was deep in thought, reflecting on Houston's reaction since their time on the island of Oshima. Still pondering, she turned towards the radio room, where Commander Muller and Commander Graham were with their boys.

"Skies are clear in the North High School area, Commander Muller," one of the radios reported, prompting a sigh from Muller as he monitored his school.

"Zulu X-Ray 6, check for any signs of activity in our sector in Grand Lake High," Graham instructed through the radio.

"Negative, sir. The scope is clear," another radio operator responded.

"Copy that," Graham acknowledged.

Deep in thought, Maho trailed off from the group as they walked, her mind still preoccupied with Houston's reactions since their time on the island of Oshima. Lost in contemplation, she found herself drawn to the radio room, where Commander Muller and Commander Graham were monitoring their respective schools.

As she entered the room, she observed Muller and Graham attentively checking their schools through the array of monitors and communication devices. The atmosphere was serious, contrasting the carefree mood outside.

"Oh, hey Maho, how are you doing?" Graham greeted.

"Doing fine... Hey, did you two notice Houston's reaction during the ceremony? He seemed kind of off," Maho remarked.

Muller exchanged glances with Graham as he spoke up, "Well, yes, he did seem shocked and angry after getting his report. It must have been something bad at his school, so he left in a hurry," Muller explained.

"I see..." Maho said, staying quiet for a few moments. She then looked at the radio comms that Graham and Muller were using to contact their schools. Seeing this, Maho then asked the two a question.

"Do you guys have the capability to establish a connection to Davy Crockett High School?" Maho inquired.

"Yeah, we can. Hold on, let me just tune into the right frequencies," Graham said as he began adjusting the signal on the radio.

As Graham adjusted the radio frequencies, the door to the radio room creaked open, and Kay, Darjeeling, Miho, and Katyusha entered. They noticed Maho standing there, deep in conversation with Graham and Muller.

"Hey, Maho, what's going on?" Miho inquired.

Maho turned to face the others, and before she could respond, Kay chimed in with a flirtatious smile directed at Graham, "Well, well, if it isn't the charming Commander Graham. We couldn't help but follow the trail of your irresistible voice. What's the latest gossip in the world of radio frequencies?"

Graham, accustomed to Kay's playful banter, grinned and replied in a similar tone, "Ah, Kay, my dear, you know the airwaves are always buzzing with excitement. We were just about to establish a connection to Davy Crockett High School, courtesy of Maho's request."