"The ball"

Citizens most loyal servant Octavian de Gizmo, human, 20 years old, working in Imperial Office(Senior Inspector at the moment). Writing a diary for new generations as a source of history and wisdom. It was written in the times of the magical industrial revolution which was full of economical, social, political and personal challenges. Let the light of knowledge grant you wisdom and guide you through life.

21st August, 1801.

The night is looming over the capital of Lindus Empire (Neverwinter) as numerous carriages arrive at the imperial palace of his royal majesty.
The magical dancing lights roaming around the perimeter lighting up the whole rooms and streets creating beautiful effects of royal eagle and other things
Imperial Guard stands there wearing black armor and mask as they are holding muskets. Some of them talking with eachother while others move around from place to place.
I was sitting in a damn green carriage which was quite cozy to be honest but this whole event was quite annoying... Diplomats, ministers, merchants and other actors(yes, I said actors in the sense of theater actors). All roaming and playing into politics. Using their power, people and resources like pieces of chess.
Who am I to judge? To be honest, I am one of the actors. I am wearing a mask as well. Sometimes I smile like a fool or pretend that I don't see but all I do is for the sake of the country and people while they just act for their own goals...
As I looked at my colleague, Colonel Lucius from ******* gazed at me with his age(he is 45 years old but compared to me he is aged) look full with wisdom as he calmly says:

- "Something disturbs your mind, doesn't it?"

- "I..." - I immediately stopped as I was made a thoughtful expression - "Work in the office can be quite exhausting. Plus this new instructions... They are quite overcomplicated to be honest especially the case #2220(The assassination of one of the gendarmerie officers with use of dark magic). Red hand, MNU(movement of national unity) and these rebels with whom we now negotiate! That is absurd for me personally..."

- Lucius Immediately chuckled as he tapped his fingers on his lap. He is dear mentor to me... Everything that I know, I have been taught from him. After some consideration he immediately explained - "Young one... Don't overexagerate. We have far more dangerous and powerful enemies than this rebels... Just think about it. Why shall we waste our resources when there is a simple peaceful solution? Why shall we be blinded by our ambitions and arrogance? It may sound idealistic coming from me my apprentice but sometimes some sacrifices and cooperation is necessary. "

I noded as I remained silent through the rest of the trip. I did not question authority of my mentor and as soon as we arrived we immediately entered the main hall as our arrival was announced. Lucius immediately headed for his cabinet while I observed the surroundings.

Things were as I have imagined. Same fools and players, same dreamers and radicals and all of it is beauty of the politcs. I immediately noticed several familiar figures: Sergant of the Imperial Guard, some representatives of noble families and MNU....

It is hard to express my feelings on the paper but as soon as I noticed them(MNU) it was shocking and even foolish. For a mere second I have thought that I have been dreaming. The main reason of the ball was negotiations with Rebels and bringing MNU, damn radicals, was just stupid!

I immediately went to the sergant with a smile and confident walk as I was trying my best to hide my shock.

- "Marcus! Dear friend!" - sergant was wearing traditional black clothing of imperial guard as he had quite a grumpy look. His profession demanded such strict attitude but he was easily brought into a good mood by some good drinks(but he was on a shift) - "How have you been feeling? Is your sister feeling better?"

Marcus immediately turns to me as he shakes my hand and gives me a big bear hug while immediately answering the questions as his grumpyness slightly disappears(in his eyes and in public I was Gendarme). - "Oh dear friend! I am so tired of this stupid recruits who even don't have the damn competence. All born with silver spoon... Thank you for asking, my sister feels far and far better."