The beginning

When the sky darkened and the moon cast a sickly red glow, the sound of heels echoed through Silent Street. She shivered as the rain clung to your skin.

The air was heavy as she took a deep breath and surveyed the dark, empty street. Seeking warmth,she moved towards a dimly lit alley where a bright sign with the word 'open' caught her attention. With a shaky breath, she grasped the doorknob.

Entering the pub, greeted by the aroma of fresh coffee and rum. The red counter sat prominently at the front, and a man hummed along to the jazz music as he cleaned.

"Hello," she said softly, clutching her coat tightly.

"Hello," he nodded in response. "Can I help you?"

"I would appreciate a latte, sir," she said, mustering a smile.

His eyes twinkled with amusement, but he didn't say much. As she waited, you ran her hand along the countertop, observing the assortment of bottles.

"I never thought a bar would also serve coffee alongside alcohol," she remarked, nervously tapping your fingers.

"Do you?" he asked wearily. Her smile faltered, fearing she were bothering him.

Still she nodded and forced a cheerful smile. "Yep! It's not often you find a place that offers both. Or maybe it's just me," she chuckled, awkwardly fidgeting with her hands in the pockets of her coat.

He nodded and began preparing her drink.

The sound of a bell chimed, and she turned to see a young boy with disheveled hair and a mischievous smile enter the pub. He sat down on the stool next to her, casually drumming his fingers on the counter.

His eyes lazily wandered over to her, and a condescending smile formed on his face.

"Ello," he softly greeted, his words floating through the air.

"Do you mean hello?" She tilted her head, scratching your cheek.

He burst into laughter, shaking his head. "No, I said 'Ello'! But close enough."

She nodded and smiled. "Really?"

"Truly," he replied.

"The bartender gently placed the cup in front of she . "Ahh," she grinned bashfully as the steam from your latte wafted up.

The boy next to she raised an eyebrow and pouted, his hands intertwined as he leaned forward to tell the man what he wanted.

"You know," he looked at you lazily through his eyelashes. "Coffee isn't typical for this time of night."

She rubbed her hands along the cup and smiled, feeling a bit nervous under his gaze.

"Maybe," she played it cool, contemplating your response.

He nodded, patiently humming a soothing tune. The humming made your heart skip a beat, and you held the cup tightly, stealing glances at him.

"That sound.." she said shakily, her hands held the cup, and the heat burned her fingers but the only thing you could think, of only one thing that left the room in a dark void of just the two of you; the hunting hum that he sang.

"How do you know that melody?" She sputter out.