one

"Hopeless for the Holidays?" You snorted, reading the email flyer your friend had just forwarded to you. "You told me you had something fun for us to do for New Year's."

"This will be!" Eunji pleaded with you. "It's a mixer for single professionals who, you know, have no other plans on New Year's Eve. Like us."

"So, an excuse to get drunk and mack on a stranger at midnight. Did that enough in my twenties. Pass."

"Nooo, it's going to be super classy; I swear! It's happening at the old courthouse downtown. It's so nice there. The dress code is literally festive black tie—"

"What does that even mean? Is it festive or is it black tie? And how did you even get invited to this?" You read the domain name of the original sender, then zoomed in on the details of flyer to double, triple check. "It's being held by the Bar Association?"

"Attorneys aren't that bad," she replied, clearly miffed.

"Yeah, you aren't," you said pointedly. "Former debate bros are."

"There's going to be so many mature, serious, single professionals there for you, I promise."

"It's literally called Hopeless for the Holidays."

"So it's a bit tongue-in-cheek."

"If its tongue were any more in its cheek, it would bite it off."

"See? You're so witty, these guys are going to be falling over themselves trying to have intellectual conversations with you."

"If a single one calls my job cute, I'm out of there."

"That's a yes! Thank you thank you thank you!"