Part 1

It was a lovely fall night, Right past the cornfields and beyond the school, they're on a path through the trees leading to a place lying dormant waiting to be known and heard. Dark, cold, and abandoned, with spirits waiting for someone to come and listen to them. No place calms Emma down like the Indiana State Sanatorium with its jolting screams and disheveled rooms. She would make a b-line for the trees every day after school and walk down the path. It was the same abandoned, overgrown path that she would always walk. No one cared to ask but they would silently judge her for going to the trees.
The day Emma turned 12 was the day that she first saw a path in the trees. She didn't know any better than to go and see what the trail led to. It felt to her like she had been called to follow the path wherever it did lead. No one could see the path but her. Emma finally felt free on this path to what seemed like nowhere. She had been walking for 8 minutes looking at the beautiful trees and scenery. As soon as she looked in front of her, she saw the Indiana State Sanitorium. The place that had been abandoned for years, maybe even decades. Emma was curious about the site so she decided to go inside.
When Emma was gone for a bit that raised alarm bells for the principal and teachers, Emma eventually came back on the path, and the search was called off. But when she was there she vowed to the spirits there that she would visit as much as possible. It seemed tedious for her to do that, but she did it anyway. Every single free day and time that she had she would be there. She was willing to visit the spirits all that she was able to.
The faculty and staff had to keep a close eye on her to make sure she wouldn't do that again. They mostly just meant during school hours. So she learned to sneak around them and get to that place of comfort. At least she was learning life skills in the process as well. She was always there for class and there for the spirits as well. It just took some time to know how to get there unnoticed. Maybe even just noticed and not cared about.