My 15, Most Beautiful, Most Painful

1

1

"Doctor, the psoriasis on my hand is always itching and painful, and it's getting bigger."

"Under what circumstances does it usually flare up?"

"When I think of him, or when I think of them."

Them, referring to my parents who don't love me and my deceased younger brother.

2

Seeking shelter under the rain by the locust tree, Skyler swiftly hopped onto the still-unsteady taxi.

"Driver, head to the North City Bus Station, and please drive fast."

Raindrops outside drummed on the car window. The glass reflected Skyler's pale face. Due to her haste, the umbrella was left on the office desk.

Several raindrops clung to her long, dense eyelashes, and a trail of tears emerged from the corners of her eyes. They intertwined, eventually falling onto Skyler's wrist.

The mottled and dry psoriasis crawled slowly from the back of her hand towards her wrist. She incessantly scratched to alleviate the itching, and a trace of blood seeped from the scratched skin, leaving long marks.

In the quiet cabin, aside from the occasional humming murmurs of the driver, the only sound was the scratching of nails against the skin.

The vehicle halted at a crossroads, and the red traffic light stood out in the dim rainy weather.

The driver in the front pulled out his phone, glanced for a few seconds, and turned to Skyler with a smiling squint, "After this ride, I'm done for the day. My daughter is coming back from out of town, and I need to pick her up."

Skyler stopped her scratching, looked at the driver after a moment of daze, and said, "You must love your daughter very much."

True joy from the heart cannot be concealed.

Though not showing his face directly, the wrinkles at the corner of his eyes, the upturned cheekbones, and the rhythmic tapping of fingers on the gearshift were enough to indicate that the person he was thinking of at that moment brought him great joy.

"Young lady, what you said... Is there any parent who doesn't love their child?"

His words were like a mix of sugar and needles, something Skyler longed for but also pierced her deeply.

The green light lit up, and the car, like a released arrow, sped away.

Arriving at the North City Bus Station at six in the evening, Skyler covered her reddened and stinging left hand, hurrying towards the pick-up area.

Rainwater flowed into her eyes from above, blurring her vision. She vaguely saw two people standing ahead with several bags at their feet.

Rubbing her moistened eyes, she clearly recognized them as her father Jack and mother Lydia.