Part 4

POV: Gideon
As the phone call from Jeremiah came through, I was instantly filled with a sense of panic. Fear, shock, and sadness washed over me in a torrent of emotions. The memory of my mother's passing resurfaced, intensifying my grief. The thought of losing my brother, my only remaining family, was unbearable. In that moment of distress, I pleaded with God, "Dear Lord, spare him and take me instead. I cannot bear another loss in such a short span of time."

With a heavy heart, I contacted emergency services and rushed to the hospital where my brother was being taken. Arriving at the Emergency Entrance, I saw the ambulance stationed there. Drawing closer, I watched as they brought out the patient. It was him. "Jeremiah," I whispered, feeling my strength waver as I leaned against a wall, overcome by emotion.

A paramedic noticed my distress and hurried to help. "Sir, are you alright?" he inquired.

"Will my brother make it?" I asked, my voice filled with concern.

The paramedic reassured me, "Yes, sir. He'll pull through." Handing me a bottle of water, he offered further solace.

Hours later, inside my brother's hospital room, relief flooded through me as the doctor provided positive news. "He sustained non-fatal gunshot wounds to his thigh and shoulder. Your brother will recover," Doctor Winston informed me, a smile of reassurance shining through.

Puzzled by the attack on my brother, I voiced my confusion to Winston. Despite my brothers stubborn nature, he was a kind and generous soul. Searching for meaning in the ordeal, I considered it an opportunity for healing and reconciliation, perhaps with Kelly's assistance in caregiving.

Before bidding my brother goodbye for the day, ensuring he'd stay with me during his recovery, I reflected on the pain and the unexpected twist of fate that led us to this moment.

POV: Mr. Park

I awoke in a sterile hospital room, my body wracked with agony and my dear brother absent. Astonished by my survival, I pondered the mystery.

Nurse Kelly entered swiftly, her face etched with pity and sorrow. "I wondered at your silence. How are you faring?" she inquired, taking my hand.

Struggling to respond, her attention veered towards herself, even amidst my suffering. "Where's my brother?" I queried.

"He left a moment past," she answered.

In walked Gideon bearing a meal, his smile warm and comforting. "Brother!" he greeted, approaching me.

Seeing him, a smile bloomed within me, though I masked my relief. "I'm grateful for your life. Have you eaten?" he asked.

"You bought take-out?" I jested.

"I might be a poor cook, but not so cruel," he assured, placing a container on my bedside.

"Shall I assist with feeding?" Nurse Kelly offered.

"I hold you in high esteem for your care, but can you excuse us?" I requested.

"Call if you need anything," she replied before exiting.

Alone at last, Gideon and I conversed. "Have you discovered those responsible for my misfortune?" I inquired.

"Not yet, but swift recovery awaits," he assured.

"I shall remain with you, but who shall tend to me? I hope not Nurse Kelly," I mused.

"Preferring a male caretaker?" Gideon teased.

Chuckling, Hannah came to mind. "Speak to Hannah."

"Why would she agree to such a role?" he pondered.

"If necessary, implore her. I favour her over Nurse Kelly," I insisted.

"Before or after an apology?" he bantered.

"Fetch her so I may speak with her," I urged.

"She waits in the car," he informed me.

Surprised by Hannah's presence in his car, I implored, "Bring her, please."

Gideon left and returned with Hannah, attired in my oversized hoodie and sweatpants. Annoyed, I wondered why she wore my clothing.

"Hello, Hannah," I greeted her.

Her face no longer swollen, she exuded beauty beneath the room's light. "I express regret for your plight, Mr. Park. We thank God that you are still with us," she sympathised.

"Would it burden you to care for me during my recovery?" I asked.

"Not at all. I would gladly assist," she smiled, revealing her dimples.

"Excellent." Hannah turned around to leave but Gideon halted her. "Mr. Park has something to share," he revealed.

Turning back to me, she awaited my words. "I extend my apologies for our past interactions. I am open to any suggestions for improvement," I confessed.

"No need to apologise, sir. Boundaries are set to maintain control. Your kindness is appreciated," she reassured.

"I adore her," whispered Gideon softly.

Vote, Comment & Share